12

Re-written 05/2022

To: Charlotte Withers@walsh.edu

From:MiguelJackson@walsh.edu

Date: Friday, September 15th, 9:50 am

Subject: Are you ignoring us?

Charles? The guys and I are worried about you. We've tried emailing, texting, and calling you and you haven't answered. What the hell is going on? You keep dodging us-what happened at the bonfire with you and Chase? We are going to storm into one of your classes if you don't reach out to us by noon. We have given you two weeks of space.

****

A pack of girls in cheerleading uniforms are on the library steps as I wait inside my car. It was four days after the bonfire and I somehow managed to become the talk on campus from my swimsuit and I'm the reason for Chase moving out of the frat house-not for the real reason, but because I'm sleeping with Miguel. I cried about the rumors the first three days and skipped school the next three after that. Now this entire week I've been sneaking around campus like a criminal to go to my classes without seeing any of the guys. This email proves just how incognito I have to be going forward.

Dove and her evil tribe of minions have me off their radar after she got what she wanted. I had to worry about one thing at a time. When the time comes for the whole picture incident that's when I will deal with it. Until now, keeping a low profile on campus is my main concern.

A tap on my window startles me. I lean towards the glass seeing Everett looking down at me. He is in workout out clothes and is drenched in sweat. I thought the guys went jogging in the early morning. It's almost ten, which means they have their business class. I synced my schedules with all of theirs so I wouldn't run into any of them and here we are.

"Are you going to roll down the window?" he taps the glass again. I slowly roll down the window-and I mean slowly. It was like watching Flash talk on Zootopia-yes that slow.

"Hey, Everett, surprised to see you here" I fake shock and he knows it. He shakes his head slightly at me and smirks. Everett wasn't one of my favorites back at the house, but he makes for great conversation at times. I don't want to have one now-by the look on his face, we are about to have one.

"Are you really?" he tilts his head to the side. "The guys and I have been trying to call you for the last two weeks. Is your phone dead? Did you lose it?"

"Nope, I have it right here." I pick up the phone waving it in the air before placing it back on the passenger seat.

"So you've just been flat out ignoring us?"

"No—I just been very busy that's all. Living back with my parents can distract me."

"You're lying, Charles, why are you lying to me?" he shakes his head.

"I'm not lying to you."

"You lied again and you know how I know you are lying you do this weird thing with your eyes. It's pretty fucking creepy. Like one of those baby dolls—fucking creepy. So, tell me the truth."

"My eyes?"

"Don't try to change the subject, why are you dodging us? And before you think about lying remember that not only do I know when you are lying, I also have connections with some cheerleaders who may or may not have told me already what happened two weeks ago."

I froze in my seat.

He knows.

Does that mean all the guys know too?