Chapter 3

mrc2 Note: so i'm not sure how many chapters this will have. quite a few, if i'm being honest. 25?

Keith had never expected to be toasting some late night toast for the thief that had always been a pain in his ass but it looked like he was doing exactly that. He was in the kitchen of his one bedroom apartment, toasting some bread, while Lance sat in the living room with the tv on. Keith was debating whether or not to just turn the Cuban in to the police. There was just something that wouldn't let him do it. A thought would always spring to mind. What if it were his sister?

Yes, Keith didn't have any blood-related siblings, but the thought was still enough to stop him from following through with that plan. He couldn't do that, not when the life of an innocent girl was in danger. Maybe she wasn't innocent, maybe she was a thief just like Lance, but it was a policeman's job to protect people. No matter who they were. He'd put Lance in jail, that was a fact, but he'd help him save his sister. He'd figure a way to get the gem back. He and Shiro would keep their jobs and a criminal would be behind bars. Putting the tag of Criminal up to Lance was... odd. It was weird to think the chirpy, energetic waiter was the thief Keith had been after for so long.

Keith's fingers curled around the counter. What would Iverson, his chief, say when he found out about how Keith was helping a thief out? There was doubt about it, he'd fire him. Gritting his teeth, Keith glared daggers at the toaster. He couldn't tell the chief then meaning he couldn't get help from the force. Did he need help anyway? If he could just keep it between him and Lance then maybe there wouldn't be any mistakes. But, then again, without help they could be easily outnumbered and killed. God, what had he gotten himself into?

The ding of the toaster startled him from his thoughts. Quickly placing the toast onto a small plate, not really caring about the heat, he made quick work to spread butter and jam on them. He picked up the plate and walked back through to the living room. The first thing he saw was Lance sprawled all over his mustard-coloured couch, one leg dangling over the backrest while the other was spread out over the length of the couch. He hugged one of the bright red pillows to his chest, peering over it at Keith when he walked in. The grin that formed on his face made Keith 'tsk' in irritation.

"Thanks, buddy." Lance said as he manoeuvred himself to sit up. Swinging his legs around to sit in a more normal position, he kept the pillow on his lap. That bruise on Lance's face caught the light causing Keith to feel a mixture of guilt and satisfaction. He deserved it but, then again, Keith as still trying to get over the fact Blue Paladin was the waiter that seemed like an innocent soul. Keith made sure to hang back, holding the plate out with a fully outstretched arm as if he didn't want to get any closer. "I don't bite." Lance jutted his bottom lip out in a pout as he took the plate off of Keith. There was a pause before the corners of his mouth slowly quirked upwards. "But I do on special occasions."

"Shut up and eat." Keith said quickly. Seeing Lance's smirk vanish would have been satisfying if a grin didn't quickly take its place after. The thief picked up a slice of the toast on his plate and took a bite out it. He must've bit off more than he could properly fit in his mouth because his cheeks looked stuffed. Then he started speaking, giving Keith a 'pleasant' show of everything in his mouth.

"No hard feelings, right?" He swallowed the food in his mouth. "I know I'm a master escapee but I don't feel any negative feelings towards you. No matter how many times you point a gun at me."

"I'm tempted to point a gun at you right now." Keith said, watching that grin grow in size. This prick... "You do know I am turning you in when we make sure your sister is safe." That grin faded at that and Keith watched as Lance nodded his head with a sigh. "You're not escaping this time, Blue." The use of his thieving name caused Lance's gaze to harden slightly, staring at Keith for a long moment before scoffing and looking away.