Chapter 10

In the tall concrete building in the dead center of a bustling metropolis, the office room was dark except for one desk. The desk light and the glow of the computer screen provided the only source of light in the large office room. All the other desks in the office were empty, except that one desk.

Manning that desk was a man in his early twenties. The lens of his glasses reflected the computer screen that he was using, and beneath those glasses, the man's eyes, dry and unable to perceive anything other than the data displayed on the monitor before him. The lights of the monitor dried his eyes, leading to continuous strain. However, the man didn't care. He couldn't care. He was entirely engrossed on the task at hand, ignoring the outside world around him.

Behind the man, the large windows showed a beautiful sprawling metropolis. The nighttime city was characterized with its skyscrapers and neon lights. It was a beautiful sight indeed. Even though it was one in the morning already, the activity outside continue. However, this did not interest the man at all.

I got to finish this by tomorrow, the man thought to himself, rubbing his eyes as the strain became unbearable.

He took a sip from his cup of coffee on his desk and sighed.

"Time to get back to work now," he said, stretching his back and arms as he continued typing on the keyboard, and diving right back into his endless job.

*

The chirping of the birds led to Loganel waking from his slumber. He opened his eyes, and started blankly at the ceiling above his bed for a few seconds. He slowly rose from his bed, sitting up and rubbing his head as he yawned.

What was that dream? Loganel pondered over as he slowly left his bed. He changed out of his indoor clothing into his outdoor adventurer clothes. Then, he made his way to the kitchen, where Juliana was already up and preparing breakfast.

After eating a quick breakfast, the two of them then set out towards the school gate, where they were to meet up with Azura. The morning sun slowly climbed up the eastern horizon, gradually providing the world of its light and dispelling the darkness of the night.

Walking along on the brick road, they passed by numerous other students who were heading out for the day. These other students, most of whom were dressed in armor and equipment that signified their party's recent success. When Loganel compared their equipment to his, he felt a sudden sense of defeat since the others all had equipment that was of higher quality than his. As they passed by the regular dorms, Loganel looked over to the building. There, the lower grade students stared out their windows with jealousy as they looked on at the students that were heading out for the day's quests and adventuring.

Soon, the two of them had arrived at the school entrance. There, numerous other students were present already, huddled up in their own parties and discussing the day's strategies. Loganel ignored them, and surveyed the crowd for the familiar white hair belonging to Azura.

"Over there," Juliana pointed out.

In the crowd, the girl stood apart. It was as if she had created a natural force field of some sort, causing people to avoid her. However, there was an exception.

"You have to come back to us," a boy, probably a year or two older and a grade or two higher said to her. "Duke Stelis would surely not approve of your actions." The boy was dressed in expensive looking plate armor, wearing enough so that it offered ample protection while also weighing light enough for swift movement. On his belt, he hung an extravagant looking sword that has a jewel embedded in the hilt that emitted a light yellow light.

"Please do not bring up my father in this," Azura shook her head in response to the boy's comments. "And I am in no obligation to join your party, Joseph."