Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

As I was reaching for a postage stamp, the front door of the apartment opened, jarring me in surprise. I jumped in my seat, and then relaxed, shaking my head.

I poked my head to the left a little bit, peering out of the open doorway of the bedroom, which had a clear line of sight of the front door. I smiled coyly. "Carrot! You're home early."

Genji took off his shoes, leaving them messily on the side of the door. He took the messenger bag strapped around his torso off, and threw it to the couch in the center of the living room. He shot me a tired look.

"My professor let us out early because he knows his class is kicking our asses."

Now that I was thinking about the past, it was clear to see that Genji had definitely changed over the past five years. The green dye had faded from his hair, leaving it a nice solid black, and it seemed like he had darker circles around his eyes since he started college.

His face was a bit more chiseled, probably due to stress, but he was still incredibly handsome. Even as he was standing there looking like he was about to pass out from sleep deprivation, he was still the most handsome guy in Hanamura.

I raised an eyebrow with sympathy, and then moved my head away from the doorway, looking back down at the letter on my desk. I stuck a stamp on the right side just as he walked into the room.

Genji stooped and wrapped his arms around me, pecking at my face from the side affectionately. I laughed, and tried to swat him away. "What are you doing? You're tickling me, stop it!"

"Stop what?" he asked innocently, a playful grin making it's way on his lips. I pouted at him in an attempt to be stern.

"Stop doing tHAT!" I screeched. He had bent down to my neck and was attacking me with a flurry of pop kisses, holding my hands away from myself so I couldn't shield myself.

I was laughing and screaming at the same time, trying to shrink away from him, almost falling out of the swivel chair I was sitting in in the process. I backed up against the desk, desperately trying to get away.

Genji then wrapped his arms around my waist, picking me up like I was a sack of potatoes. I punched at his arms, but that didn't really seem to be making a difference. I groaned with annoyance, though I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. "What are you doing?! Put me downnnn..."

"Neverrrrr,"

He jumped onto the bed in the center of the room with me in his arms, burying his face into the crook of my neck like a little kid. He had me in an iron hold, so I knew that I wasn't going to get out without his consent.

I wriggled around in place, rustling all the sheets that I had arranged so neatly in the morning, so that I was facing him. I smiled, my laughter dying down slowly, and reached up to run a hand through his locks. His hair was soft and deft in between my fingertips.

Genji seemed to relax as I did this, meeting my gaze tiredly. I could tell that his eyelids were heavy, and he was struggling to keep himself awake. The eyebags present beneath his eyes told me the whole story of how he had to stay awake last night to finish his work.

"You're exhausted," I pointed out, my fingers lingering on a strand of his hair. He nodded. 

"Good observation, Sherlock."

"Get some sleep, will you?"

"I will." His eyes opened again, and he glanced at the desk I was sitting at a few second ago. As though he didn't already piece it together, from the paper and pen sitting right on top of it, he asked, "What were you doing before I walked in?"