Chapter 23

Ripley's POV

My mind cannot get off the sight of the deer's blood where it was shot. Small at the opening, went through a bit bigger opening and cut clean through.

Ethan took the buck himself while I came back to my house, sitting by the porch, and letting my eyes stare at the grass. Thoughts are placidly interested on the deer's blood-why am I thinks this?

I seen blood before -before the incident in the past. I remember very clearly when sitting with Ethan father in the old Ford truck that seems to never get quiet when driving the field to find the perfect deer. The hazy snow covered throughout a farmers crop, I sat and searched every inch of the worldview until out in the bush, a big seven by six came out. We stopped sudden, rushing ourselves out the vehicle as it surprisingly runs, sprinting to the other side of the brush, however, I followed before he comes to my crosshairs and pulled the trigger.

Sure my ears ring a bit yet it was amazing and shaking feeling of adrenalin of actually, for the first time, shoot a deer, even as it was running. Seeing it up close, blood wasn't to morbid for me; girls would freak out, even from a broken nail. Not me.

So, why focusing on blood?

I decide to let myself memorize the purpose and frustration of this. I take myself back to the Re- Thrax's death. seeing every detail, imagine appeared vivid. The garbage bin where the red-toned body of Thrax was, stretching all the limps out of the corners of bin, covering by its trench coat.

Couple bruises, doesn't seem too interesting and helpful for me. I notice the black goo on his shirt; his blood probably is not normal human blood. Of course it should be, Ripley, he isn't a human. He told the criminals that he takes the DNA of people in the hypothamulus, and that black goo should be his blood...

...Where it was on his chest with a hole in there.

I visual see him in front of me now, on the grass, displayed for me.

The stain of the blood is on the edge of the shirt, although I suspect something else. On the middle of his chest...

A different, brighter color...

Like red...

...As in blood... just like the deer.

Thrax is still alive!