14- Are We Moving?

There was array of furniture from our house in the front garden, when I arrived home from school one afternoon. Were we moving and I hadn't got the memo? That was the first thought that came into my head, as took in the chaotic scene in front of me. After all, I wasn't the first kid to be told something important at the last minute. Parents do that right? It's not that we when we are young we don't listen is it; we just filter out the less important stuff?

All the neighbours were watching. The nets twitched along the street. I had a feeling we weren't moving after all but just at that moment, I truly wished that we were.

Children giggled and pointed in my direction, as I stood there not knowing what to do. Tears flowed. This didn't feel right.

My mother didn't see me. She also didn't hear me, as she smiled like the Mona Lisa sitting on a red kitchen chair in the front garden, a case by her side.

She was wearing a strange apparel of slippers, dad's socks, long lace gloves and an evening dress.

I stood fixed to the spot. What should I do? My mother sat bang smack in the pathway to the front door, so I couldn't phone my father. Mobile phones didn't exist then except in star trek. I can tell you for sure, I so wished Scotty could beam me anywhere but where I was.

The childless folk from next door, opened their door, noting my distress, their warm smiles beckoning. I ran like the wind into the wife's comforting arms, as her soft voice reassured me, my father was on his way.

I wanted my father to rewind the day and take away the ridicule. My mother in her well moments would be mortified too. If only we all had a magic wand that eradicated those moments we would rather forget. But nothing is as simple as that, is it?

I thought I'd never laugh again. But in later years I use to laugh at the thought of this day, due to the complete surrealism of it all. When all else fails; laughter is a great therapy.

If you liked this chapter please do vote (please hit the star) and if you have time to comment that would mean so much to me, as your feedback inspires me and I thrive on feedback

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission of the authors.

Many thanks, Kimberley S B Lieb