Chapter 19

They both went to sleep around midnight. They next morning, Sofia was woken up with a hard slap. "Hurry up, you lazy bitch!" her mom said, "Breakfast isn't even ready and Daniel should be here..." She was cut off when the doorbell rang, "Any minute," she finished, "Pull some clothes on, for goodness sake! You're so gonna get it when you get back." Her mother went down the stairs to open the door while she got up and tried to put on some clothes. Note: TRIED.

The room wouldn't stop spinning and she had to lean against the window to steady herself. "Ah, nice to see you, Daniel. How are you?" she heard her mom say. "I'm fine, thanks. Where's So... I mean, the girl?" Daniel's hard voice came. As she pulled on a pair of jeans, she thought that she could hear some accusation in the voice and couldn't help but feel touched that he felt concerned for her. At least, what she thought was concern for her. "She's still upstairs, the lazy brat. HURRY UP, YOU BITCH! DANIEL'S WAITING!" her mom called. "No worries. I'll go get her," Daniel said. She heard a pair of feet make it's way upstairs and a knock on her room. She slowly opened the door, her vision blurred due to dizziness. "Are you okay? Did they hurt you?" Daniel asked, as soon as she opened the door, checking her for injuries. "I'm fine, just a bit dizzy, that's all," she replied. "I'm checking you as soon as we get to my house," he said. Sofia let out a small cough and Daniel furrowed his eyebrows. "Can you get across the street?" he asked. Sofia nodded.

Daniel kept a firm grip on Sofia's arm. It may have looked forceful, but Sofia was actually thankful for it.  At least it kept her upright. "I'm probably gonna keep her longer today, let's say, for a few days? I have a lot of work to get done and I'm gonna need her help," Daniel said to Sofia's mother. "Take her!" she replied, "Oh, but Sofia, don't think that you're off the hook. You're still gonna get it when you get back." Sofia nodded fearfully while Daniel raised an eyebrow. When they got to Daniel's home, he instructed her to lay down on the sofa.

"What was that about?" he asked. "I woke up late and forgot to make them breakfast," Sofia replied. Daniel rubbed his temple, "Gosh, those humans are intolerable," he muttered. In a louder voice, he asked, "Symptoms?", going in Dr. Daniel mode. "Headaches, sore throat, coughing, sneezing and sniffles," she replied. Daniel took out a first aid kit and took out a thermometer. "Open up," he said, checking Sofia's temperature. 39°C. "Fever," he said simply. Then, he noticed a huge red mark on Sofia's cheek. "What's this?" he asked. "Nothing," Sofia replied, looking away. "She slapped you didn't she?" Daniel asked, but it sounded more like a statement. Sofia nodded slowly and looked down. "I deserved it," she said softly, barely audible. Daniel was just about to say something when Sofia went into a coughing fit. Daniel patted her on the back a few times, helping her to sooth the fit. After sneezing once, Daniel handed her a tissue. "Thanks," she said, as she blew her nose. "No problem," he said, smiling a little, "I'm gonna go get some medicine."

Little did Daniel know, that as soon as he left, the small girl broke down into silent sobs. "Why am I such a bother?" she asked herself, tears running down the face that Daniel had grown to love.