Chapter 17

Once they got home, Sofia nearly leapt on the sofa. "Shoes," Daniel said, glaring half heartedly. "Oh, right," Sofia said, taking her feet off the. Coffee table, "Don't get mad." Despite her saying this playfully, Daniel could still sense a bit a worry and fear in her tone. He sighed and said, "You know I'm never gonna leave you right?" Sofia nodded and said, "I know, but..." Daniel placed a hand on her mouth.

"Stop it! I'm always gonna be there for you. As long as we're neighbours. As long as we go to the same school. As long as you remain mine."

He lowered his height so that he was level with Sofia. He leaned in for a kiss, but unlike his regular soft, sweet, passionate kisses, this one was rough and hard. Sofia was taken aback by this sudden movement and took a minute to kiss him back. She felt Daniel's tongue lick her bottom lip, asking for entrance. She slowly granted access, feeling his tongue slip in and fight hers for dominance. He eventually won, exploring nook and cranny of her mouth. Sofia soon realised what was going on and pushed him away. They gasped for air and Sofia said, "Daniel, we're still young. Our relationship is still new. We shouldn't be, you know, making out just yet." Something passed in his eyes and he said, "You know what? I'm sorry. You're right. If you're not ready, we'll wait until you are. Just so you know, I am."

Sofia smiled, thinking how lucky she was to have such a strong, caring, handsome boyfriend like he was. She kissed him lightly on the cheek and said, "I'm going to the bathroom." Daniel nodded and watched as Sofia left. He rubbed his temple and thought, "Gosh, was I too early? Have I lost her? She seemed to be ok, but what if..." He shook his head and banished all those thoughts. "No, it's all going to work out. We were meant to be neighbours for a reason. I just hope this is why."

Once Sofia returned she sat on the sofa. Daniel rose and said, "Here, keep yourself busy until it's time to go back. There are no other chores to finish." In actual fact, Sofia would have loved to take a nap, but she was afraid of cliff related nightmares, so she tried to busy herself with a few of Daniel's book s until she eventually dropped off.

Sofia felt herself cling to the edge of the cliff. The waves crashed below her. Her hand was slipping. She was falling onto the waves below...

A loud crash was heard and she woke up panting. She looked around and saw Daniel standing over a broken cup of tea. "I'm sorry. Did I wake you up?" he asked. "No," Sofia replied, "I'm done with sleeping." She threw the covers off her and eyed the chessboard Daniel always kept on his coffee table. She also realised that she couldn't very well play alone. "Daniel, are you busy?" she asked. "No, why?" Daniel asked, sitting down next to her with a new cup of tea.

She gestured to the chessboard and asked, "Black or white?"