Chapter 5

Daniel slid to the floor, a hand still covering his mouth. He had just witnessed the abuse of a girl, an UNDERAGE girl,  how could he be okay?!

Daniel now knew that his suspicions were confirmed. His suspicions that Sofia was being abused. "Wait, why would I care? I hate her. I'm not supposed to care, right?"

................................................................................................................................................................

Daniel couldn't sleep that night. He just couldn't. He was too busy thinking about what he saw, as well as his meddled up feelings. He tried reading a book, to forget about is feelings, until he read that line.

'Don't you get it? I DON'T like you. But I'm not letting a child get abused under my watch.'

"I CAN'T LIVE LIKE THIS!" he yelled, throwing his book across the room, where it landed with a thud, "I just can't."

A few tears slipped down his face, something he had never let happen for reasons other than his parents, his mother more specifically. The fate of the girl living in front of him hit him a little too close to the events he'd rather forget. "No," he said to himself, "There's no point of me dwelling in the past. I have to do something!"

Then, a thought struck him. It could work. All he needed to execute it was to find out the true extent of the abuse. He rubbed his hands with glee. He was going to save a child, just like he saved himself all those years ago.

Daniel took a deep breath and pulled the hood of his hoodie up. Then, he ran 24 feet across the road to the other house. He rang on the doorbell and heard a shout followed by a slap before the door was opened. Sofia stood in the doorway, rubbing her cheek, which as far as Daniel saw, was bright red and had  what looked suspiciously like a hand print on it. "Daniel?" she asked.

"Your parents home?" he asked, trying to keep his cold demeanor. Sofia nodded and went to get her parents. He heard a shout saying, "Go to your cupboard!" before a woman appeared in the doorway, smiling. There was something off about her though. Her eyes held absolutely no warmth at all. "Yes?" she asked sweetly, snapping Daniel from his train of thought. Daniel felt a bout of hate for the woman, but smiled back. "Hi," he started, "I'm Daniel and I live across the road. I would like to welcome you to our neighborhood. I'm so sorry I have't taken the time to greet you yet."

"What a gentleman!" the woman exclaimed, "No worries, Daniel. Please, do come in and have a cup of tea." Daniel stepped inside and sat down on the sofa. Sofia's mother clapped her hands and Sofia hurried into the living room, looking anxious and fearful. A look that no child should have in their own house. "You, girl. Go and make some tea for us. Hurry up!" her mother ordered. Sofia scurried into the kitchen and started to boil the water while Daniel and her mother talked. "So, Daniel. You live alone?" she asked."Well, yeah," Daniel replied, "Since my parents died, I no longer had any living relatives so yes, I live alone." "You poor thing. It must be hard losing your parents at such a young age," she said, without any sympathy in her voice. "Yeah," he replied. 'Though I was kinda glad to escape that tyrant,' he added mentally. They talked about random stuff for a moment before Sofia came back with the tea. "What took you so long, bitch? I'm sorry, Daniel. She's always been so useless," her mother said.

"It's fine," Daniel replied, his eyes never leaving Sofia who was blushing furiously. "What are you still standing there for? Go upstairs!" her mother yelled. Sofia scurried up the stairs, nearly falling as her father shoved into her. "Watch where you're going, slut!" he yelled, before grabbing his coat. "I'm off to work, honey!" he said. "Stay safe, darling!" she called back. "Now, where were we?" she said, turning back to Daniel. "Umm.... actually I may need to use the loo. May I?" he asked. "Oh, of course. Upstairs, first door on the left." she replied. "Thanks," he said before heading upstairs.

He found the loo alright, but that wasn't where he was intending to go in the first place. He looked at each door there, until he found the only one with deadbolts on it. He cautiously opened the door, to see a crying Sofia, nursing a large gash on her back.