Chapter 6

"Sofia?" Daniel asked. Sofia looked up and gasped as she saw Daniel. "D...Daniel. Wh...what are you d..doing? You're not supposed to be here!" she said. Daniel sighed. "How did you get that gash?" he asked. "I tripped," she replied. 'Yeah, right," he thought. "Why do you care? You hate me," she said, glaring. Daniel smirked, 'I've been asking myself the same question,' he thought. "I don't," he replied, "I was just curious." He left the cupboard and closed the door. He ran a hand through his hair and gave a sigh. 'Must be worse than I thought. I expected only for them to overwork her, but starve and hit too?!' he thought.

He quickly washed his hands and went back downstairs. "You took quite a while. Are you okay?" Sofia's mother asked. "Yeah, I'm fine. Had a run in with Sofia just now," he said, "Quite a troublesome child, ain't she?" "Oh,yes. A bitch. Really," she said. "Must be a hustle to deal with her every day," he said, trying to lace his voice with as much sympathy as possible. "Oh, yes," Sofia's mother replied.

"How's this. I could use some help around the house and you obviously can't deal with her antics. What if I offer to take her off your hands during the day?" he said. "Could you really?" she said. Daniel nodded and said, " I'll pay how ever much you want. I'm loaded." "$5 an hour." "Deal. I'll pick her up at let's say, 7 tomorrow? I'll return her at 8 in the evening." "Sure thing," Sofia's mother said, obviously pleased to get some money. Daniel smiled. His plan was working perfectly.

......................................................................................

The next day, Sofia was awakened by a bucket of water splashed on her face. She woke up hurriedly and gasped for breath. Her mother was laughing openly at her reaction. "Get up! Daniel has hired you to do jobs for him. Get dressed. He should be here in half an hour. Enough time for you to make breakfast for me and your dad," she said.

Sofia sighed and quickly pulled on a dress. It was too big for her since it was a hand-me-down from her mother. She quickly cooked bacon and eggs and dished it up just before the doorbell rang. She was feeling dizzy that day, it being her 6th day without food. She opened the door and there stood Daniel. "You ready to go?" he asked. She nodded but immediately felt like keeling over. Daniel grasped her hand and kept her upright. Once she steadied herself, she looked down and saw that their hands were still clasped. Daniel noticed this and jerked his hand away. Both of them blushed before Daniel cleared his throat. "We should get going," he said.

They crossed the road and went inside Daniel's house. Sofia noticed how large the house was and said, "Whoa..." Daniel smirked and said, "Like what you see?" Sofia blushed before Daniel guided her into the kitchen and made her sit down. He poured two cups of tea and set one of them in front of her. Her then took out two plates, dished out some bacon which was on the stove, and once again set one of the plates in front of her. She looked curiously at the food, not daring to touch it, for fear that it just wasn't meant for her. "Well," Daniel said, "Eat up."

Sofia didn't need telling twice. She dug into the food, eating ravenously. She didn't care. She was starving. Daniel ate his food in front of her at a more sedate pace. Once she was finished, she looked up and said, "Thank you." It wasn't much, but she really was grateful. Daniel inclined his head and said, "It was nothing. I can see you're hungry. More bacon, perhaps?"

Look, I know I've never said it before, but please review! I seriously need them! Let's see if we can get at least 3 reviews.