chapter 15

"How did you find me?" 
Katherine asked Natasha, picking up her son and holding him close in her arms. 

Natasha stood quiet at first, just staring at Katherine from across the small table and the child in her arms. The child looked so much like Clint. The child had his smile, his hair color with Katherine's eyes. Natasha hated to admit it because her and Katherine never really got along but her and Clint's child was the cutest thing she had ever seen. It was almost enough to warm the assassin's heart. 

Natasha took a deep breath before focusing on Katherine's facial expressions. "I noticed something at the funeral. I saw you watching from behind the tree, I thought it was nothing at first but it just kept eating away at me until I had to check for myself. I had this hunch that something was off, I didn't want to tell Clint at first out of fear that this came to nothing. I wanted to spare him the hurt all over again so i investigated on my own. I dug up your grave, the one that Clint and all of us buried "you" in." 

Hearing Natasha say this made Katherine sigh, looking away from Natasha's glares as she continued explaining. 

"So it was my surprise..when I dug up your grave, I found it empty." Natasha said. "I knew then that you were alive and I promised myself that I'd find you...and bring you back to Clint." Natasha glared at Katherine before letting her face form a small smile when she stared at the child in Katherine's arms. "After I kick your ass for leaving and faking your death in the first place." 

"Do you know how much you've hurt him? How much it killed him inside to think that you died? To think that you died and he didn't get to at least say goodbye? Do you even care how much you've hurt him and every single one of us?" Natasha yelled at Katherine, standing up as Katherine remained quiet. 

If looks could kill, Katherine would be dead from the glares Natasha was sending her way. Katherine knew that but Natasha didn't know the whole story. 

Katherine sighed, setting the child back down on the rug, giving him a toy. She walked into the little kitchen area, pouring herself a drink and bringing back a glass of wine for Natasha. Katherine chugged her glass before looking back at Natasha with a small smirk. 

"I admire your loyalty to Clint, I really do. I draw comfort from knowing that he has someone like you to be there for him while I am not." Katherine sighed, noticing the looks Natasha was still giving her. "You think I'm some horrible, heartless monster who left Clint like it was nothing. Like it wasn't the hardest thing I'd ever done. Well, news flash Romanoff, I'm not as heartless as you're sitting there thinking." 

Natasha watched as Katherine got up, leaving her in the room for a few minutes. Natasha just sat there, staring at the smiling child on the ground who then looked at her. Natasha smiled slightly, thinking about how happy Clint would be when he finds out that not only Katherine is alive... But that he's finally getting the family he deserves and craved. Natasha sat up straight once Katherine entered the room again with two items in her hands. 

Katherine handed Natasha a photo frame, looking down to see it was a picture of Clint. "I keep that by my bed and show Hunter every night. I tell him just the kind of hero his father is and that I can only ever hope to be." Katherine sighed, showing the silver necklace Clint gave her as a replacement for her Talisman. "Ever since he gave it to me, I never took it off. I think about him every single second of every single day that I'm not thinking about Hunter."