A Killer's Requiem (Part 2)

NB: Hey, reader! I see you've stuck around until part ten. That's right, Sigil of Humanity just became a ten-part story! ELSF may have twenty-one parts, but we're catching up with this one. In honor of this achievement, I've started a Q and A section at the end of each new chapter. Ask a question about me or the story, and it'll be answered at the end! Right now it'll be more of a FAQ until I get some comments. For now, enjoy the morally questionable bloodbath, my fellow demonologists!

At school, Beru was absent for three days. In the meantime, Kasumi wasted her time replicating his sigil and formatting it into her new signature. She looked up random facts about Beleth, obsessing over him. She couldn't believe that she was best friends with a real demon.

On the fourth day, Beru finally showed up at school. Kasumi immediately came over to his house after school. As she entered the living room, she overheard a group of guys talking and sharing photos. It was Satan and his friends, laughing about the picture they took when they won in "Sariel the Unkillable Cockroach." They looked up to see the human, and the room was silent. Afraid that she'd interrupted something, Kasumi waved and hurried upstairs.

In his room, Beru was pressing his ear against the wall to listen in. Kasumi set down her backpack and asked, "What's going on?" Beru took a note from what he heard and relayed the information to her. "That's Satan and his allies. They're showing off photos of when I was defeated. They don't know I'm here. Actually, they think I'm just some kid."

Smiling faintly, Kasumi shut the door. "I see. So you're living a double-life, and this is your alter ego?" Beleth kept his straight face, taking more notes. Emi called from downstairs, "Kasumi, Beru! Hurry up before your dinner gets cold."

They joined the others for an order from Pizza Hut (home of the Blue Blur). Upon noticing their guest, Ashiya stood up. "Greetings. I am the humble servant of Lord--" Satan jerked him back onto the couch as he whispered, "Are you crazy?" He looked up at her and beamed. "He said his name was Ashiya! I'm Maou!"

The others introduced themselves, and Beru and Kasumi sat together at the end of the couch. As they ate, Beru passed a note to her. It read, "These are my enemies. I met them in Hell. The one with the black hair in the McDonald's uniform is Satan." Kasumi stared at the devil across from her. "Maou is..."

Beru already wrote another short note which read, "He looks nice, but that's him. I'm not too loyal like the others." Kasumi understood their relation in Christian mythology, and came to the same conclusion about Beleth's loyalty. As they rejoined the conversation, Kasumi hid the notes under the couch cushions.

When everyone left, Maou claimed he lost his wallet. When he recovered it under the cushions, he also found index cards, neatly stacked. The room was silent as he read them. "Somebody's been passing notes about us... being demons? Lucifer, it was you!"

"I swear, it wasn't me!" said Urushihara, waddling off in his portable cardboard home (™). Maou turned to Kasumi as he said, "Don't tell anyone about this." He immediately chased Lucifer out of the house and onto the streets. Beru stood next to her as they watched a running cardboard box.

"See?"

"Then it's true..."

Emi said, "Kasumi, shouldn't you be going, too?"

Beru smirked as he replied, "Her stuff is still in my room." They returned upstairs and Beleth snapped his fingers. "By the way, I have a present for you. This is a fallen angel like myself, ready to be invoked and to be your servant until she dies." He looked again, but the image wasn't there. "Malphas! What the heck, man? Get over here already!"

A tiny crow with a crooked beak fluttered out from underneath the bed. "I'm keeping the servant for Mephistopheles. I owe him." Beleth struggle to keep his composure. He turned to Kasumi and said, "Just go. And if you want a servant, bug this guy." He looked back to the crow. "Malphas, meet up with her for the deal. She'll have to give me her soul to get another. That's how the exchange works for humans."