A Killer's Requiem (Part 1 of 2)

(This takes place at the same time as "Sariel the Unkillable Cockroach")

Beleth wrote the first lengthy entry in his journal. He had plenty of time to do so, and as many pages as he would ever need. He began to write thusly:

If you are reading this journal, you are most likely a friend or associate of Zepar, and you want to find me. In the case that my death is imminent, I will share no information of my current habits nor appearance. I will proceed to hide in plain sight.

I am Beleth. I've been assigned by Grand Duke Zepar to kill Sariel. As stated by Zepar, this angel has escaped every deception and capture. His only option was to send me to get rid of him finally. I find it insulting that a lesser demon like him would command me like a pet. As the demon of science, mathematics, and music, I am far more cultured than this lowlife.

As soon as I made it to the human realm, I had no intention of carrying out Zepar's plan. He'd given me the form of a young teen with black hair and eyes. Taking the first name from my demonic title, I was then known as Beru Tachibana.

I roamed the streets of a Japanese city until I stumbled upon a school. In a large, golden script, the sign in front read "Sasazuka Middle School." I briefly considered the novel idea of becoming a middle school student, as if it were out of the question. However, I then realized that I could live a second life alongside humanity. Although unusually intelligent, I would blend in just fine.

I enrolled at the school to impress others and show off, nothing more. I had no friends, but I thought nothing of it. Just as I thought, I excelled at all subjects, impressing my classmates and gaining their admiration. I played the most skillfully in the band, wrote the finest in literacy class, and solved the quickest in math. I had no competition.

One day, coming home from school, I wandered into an alleyway as usual. As I prepared to sleep, a shimmering transmission was projected on the building opposite me. It was Zepar, contacting me on behalf of my disobedience. He threatened to kill my classmates if I didn't eliminate the target. Even though I didn't particularly care for other students, I reluctantly strolled to Sariel's house.

As I was checking out his apartment, a young woman from across the street asked me if I were lost. I told her that I was homeless, and she let me in. From where I am now, I have a great view of Sariel's apartment. I'm not sure whether I should move in or not.

...

The woman's name was Emi Yusa, and she just came home from work. Beleth was looking out the window of the guest room. He saw Sariel, looking around outside. The angel was suddenly frightened. Beleth was intrigued as he saw him in shock. He appeared to be talking to... no one.

Just after the conversation, a crow flew away from its perch upon a streetlamp. As it came closer, Beleth opened the window. The black bird perched upon the windowsill. He noticed that it had a crooked beak.

"Malphas?" The crow was transfigured, becoming a human. The crooked beak became a scar on his nose. "I've started to deceive Sariel," he informed. Beleth smiled in relief as he replied, "Good. You take care of him, and I'll have the time of my life with these humans." He looked out the window to see Sariel laughing with an evil smirk.

"What did you tell him?"

Malphas shrugged, laying on the bed. "Something about Zepar eating Lailah..." He yawned, falling asleep. Beleth crossed his arms as he said, "Get up. I won't have some naked demon sleeping in my bed." Malphas noticed that he had no clothes, as he just transformed from a crow. He got up and brushed the feathers from the bed. "Hey," he suggested, "Don't you want a follower?"

"Why would I need a human?"

"No, silly! A demon!" In a flicker of light, like a ghostly flame, the transparent image of a fallen angel appeared. Her eyes were closed and her hair flowed about the room like tendrils. Malphas offered, "Even though she's soon to be resurrected, we can make use of her now."