16. nostalgia.

"You're an alpha? That's so cool." Scott praised, yet a severe expression on his face. She nodded as a smile tugged at the corner of her mouth. "But how did you know about me?"

"I heard... A rumor." She answered vaguely. After tracing a circle on the counter with her finger for a few seconds, Scott's face turned into a scowl of realization.

"Did Stiles tell you?" He asked, already knowing the answer.

"He contacted me the other day, said you were falling apart." She lightly chuckled, pulling her fingers through her hair. "I'm glad he did, Scott. You're just kids. You need help with this."

"It's tough with school and the whole werewolf thing. And ugh, then there's Allison. I really like her but Derek keeps telling me I'm gonna hurt her eventually, and I'm sacred he's ri–"

"Wait! Hold up!" She quickly cut him off and raised both her hands in the air to stop him from talking. Yes, it was too much information so she had to put up both hands. "Allison as in Allison Argent? And Derek? As in Derek Hale?"

"Yeah. Do you know them?" Scott asked and raised his eyebrows a little.

Vanessa was too stunned to talk. Firstly, there was Allison. No matter how sweet she seemed, she was an Argent and that meant her family was still hunting these woods. Worst case would be that Kate returned as well. If she was back, Vanessa didn't know if she could contain her anger. Secondly, Scott casually talked about Derek which meant Derek had contacted him more than once. Not only did Scott seem to have forgotten about hanging out with him when they were younger, but Derek had actively 'coached' her cousin without telling her. These thoughts angered her and Scott took a step back when he got to see her glowing red eyes in action.

"No, I..." She caught herself, blinking away the anger. "I don't. Or I mean, I know the Argents. Sort of. Anyway, what has this Derek told you so far?"

"Only that I'm dangerous and that the alpha who bit me wants me in his pack. Which I'm not interested in, by the way." He shrugged, playing it off even though she could see that this was clearly eating him up. Scott, dangerous? Never in a million worlds.

"Don't listen to him, you don't even know the guy. And that alpha won't lay a hand on you, not while I'm here." As soon as the words left her mouth, Scott lowered his head the slightest and knitted his eyebrows together. She soon realized what a poor choice of words it was; had she been there the entire time instead, maybe Scott would still be a normal human. Had she still been there the entire time, she and Scott would've been so much closer. "Sorry." She whispered and pursed her lips.

"No, it's fine. I don't blame you, I just which you could've been. You never even told us why you left."

"You'll hate me if I told you." She murmured and pulled her fingers through her hair in an act of frustration.

"Come on." He scoffed, disbelief in his eyes. "There's nothing that could make me hate you. You're my closest friend after Stiles and you know that."

"I'll tell you, just not no–"

"Wait. You're an alpha. The only way to become that is to..." He drifted off in realization, slowly fixing his eyes on her.

Vanessa didn't need to finish. The tears building up in her eyes and her pushed lips together confirmed his assumption. However, Scott didn't look disgusted, ashamed or even afraid. He only sighed and then completely took her by surprise when he pulled her in for a hug.

"It was self defense." She sniffed and buried her face against the crook of his neck.

"I believe you." He nodded and stroked her back. "I know you'd never kill someone for power. You're better than that."