12. south america.

Vanessa woke up to the feeling of Cora moving in her embrace, twisting and turning in panic. Vanessa wiped some hair away from Cora's face and softly shushed her as she woke up with a tear rolling down her cheek.

"Hey, hey, you're safe, you're with me. Look at me." Vanessa whispered and sat up a little bit. Cora breathed rapidly, looking up at the other girl with relief all over her face.

"Sorry I woke you." She apologized and let her head fall down to Vanessa's chest.

"It's fine, honey." Vanessa sighed and stroked the back of Cora's head carefully. "You hungry?"

"Not really." Cora murmured and swallowed a lump in her throat.

"Cora... You have to eat. You've been eating really badly lately and it worries me."

Cora looked up at her and bit on her bottom lip sadly. Vanessa didn't let those puppy eyes convince her this time. She lightly raised her eyebrows and put on a severe face that showed Cora that she was in charge today. Muttering, Cora got up and reluctantly approached the kitchen. Thankfully, Jacques had already prepared for breakfast. Vanessa put on her thin morning robe and followed the little one.

It'd been about two weeks since the fire and Cora still had vivid nightmares. Not that that wasn't understandable. She didn't want to sleep on the couch and Vanessa wouldn't let her either way so the two shared Vanessa's room because Vanessa could always manage to calm her down when it was needed. Cora ate too little as well; she had too many disturbing imagines left from the fire to eat whenever she needed. Sometimes the McCall's had to force her to sit and eat. During these days, the three of them had grown incredibly close. Vanessa played every game she knew with Cora, told her a lot of stories and Jacques even taught the girl some good fighting techniques.

Vanessa hadn't gone to school either. The entire town knew about the fire at this point but whatever they gossiped about, Vanessa had no idea. She didn't care either. Sheriff Stilinski occasionally came over to update her about their leads, but she had no physical proof that it was Kate's fault so she could never tell him. She just hoped Kate had listened and ran out of town like she threatened her to do. She didn't know if anyone else had made it out of the fire. She could've asked, but she was afraid of the answer. She didn't want to hear it if no one had.

"You made french toast? I love those." Cora smiled up at Jacques.

"I know." Jacques winked, making Vanessa weakly smile. It was hard to be happy in the house at the moment, but they had to in order not to go insane.

"Thanks..." Cora trailed off. Vanessa pressed her lips together sadly and joined Cora's side. The girl never knew what to call him. Mr McCall was way too formal. Jacques felt too disrespectful but she couldn't call him dad either. It was a tough situation which he fortunately understood. "Thanks."

"Yeah, of course."

"No... Not just for the french toast." Cora frowned, making them cease their movements and turn their full attention to her. "I mean, thanks for everything. I haven't said it, I just realized, but thanks for saving me and taking me in. I don't know what I'd do if you weren't there."

"Don't think like that, pollito." Vanessa quickly kissed the top of her head and poured her some juice. "And of course we'd take you in. You're family now."

Without thinking about it for too long, Cora wrapped her arms around Vanessa's neck and hugged her tightly. Vanessa buried her face against her shoulder and smiled while a tear fell down her cheek. Jacques smiled at the scene and grabbed a french toast himself.

"I love you, Vanessa." Cora proclaimed sweetly while they ended the hug.

"Love you too. Now eat." Vanessa chuckled and put her hair up in a ponytail. Cora rolled her eyes, a habit she picked up from Vanessa, and devoured the food.