08. secrets.

Vanessa hadn't left her house for days. After being kidnapped, she decided that the best way to rest up was to stay at home and watch tv shows with her dad. Zaina had called to make sure her friend was still alive and filled her in with school things. Vanessa hadn't heard from anyone else and she hadn't reached out to anyone. She just wanted to be alone.

"Don't you think it's time to get some fresh air?" Jacques commented and sat down beside her on the couch. She shrugged a little and finished eating her sandwich. "Sweetie."

"Yes, it is. And I'm gonna go back to school after the weekend." She agreed reluctantly, making a face due to the thought of school.

"Good. As healing as it feels to just stay home, you have to get out at some point." Jacques sent her an apologetical expression. "And you know, make sure people know you're alive."

"With people you mean Derek." She clarified and raised her eyebrows at him. "The thing is, we didn't use to hang out every day. Months could pass without us seeing each other, so me being gone for nearly two days isn't that big of a deal."

"But you do see each other every day now. He hasn't called, has he?"

Vanessa peered up at him and her shoulders sank a little. Jacques sighed, wrapped an arm around her and kissed her on the top of her head. She hated that Derek not even checking up on her hurt her, especially since she knew something was taking up his time and he wouldn't tell her. She wished she could just... Not care about him, not wanting his attention. Before she could utter a word, her phone vibrated on the table.

"Hola, it's Vanessa." She answered cautiously. The voice on the other line wasn't someone she expected though.

"Hey, it's Peter." Peter said, sounding somewhat relieved. "I don't wanna sound more like a creep but how are you? Are you home?"

"Hi." She smiled down. "Yeah, I'm home. Why?"

"I know what happened, Dalia told me." He admitted and she unconsciously brought her free hand up to her cheek. "Are you alright?"

"I'm pretty good." She shrugged and looked out the window. "As good as I can feel, I guess."

"Can you come out for a while or are you busy?"

"Give me five minutes."

Vanessa hung up and stood up from the couch. Jacques raised his eyebrows questiongly, but she shrugged him off and went to her room to change her clothes. Once she was done, she put her hair up in a ponytail and jogged to the hallway.

"Be careful!" Her dad called as he poked his head sideways to look at her.

"Oh, right! Remember Peter, the guy I went out with some time ago?" She snapped her fingers in remembrance and watched him nod. "He's a werewolf too. I'll be back soon."

With that, she exited the house and walked down the street. When Peter said 'come out' she just assumed he was nearby and she was right. Hearing her footsteps, Peter turned around and hurried toward her. Vanessa frowned a little but felt the need to wrap her arms around his neck and hold him.

"What'd they do to you?" He asked and examined her face, carefully caressing her cheek with his thumb. She winced a little. "Sorry."

"It's fine, I can feel it all healing now. They just... I don't know, used electricity to torture me. Really though, I'm feeling better." She exhaled and locked her gaze with his. His light eyes seemed to express something she had never seen on him: softness and a caring side.