13. derek.

Vanessa had the day all planned out. Go to the local café, drink some hot coco, talk to the cashier whom she had befriended because of how often she went there and then buy some groceries home. Then someone popped that plan-bubble apart.

As she opened the door to leave, a figure stood right in front of her. Vanessa slowly looked up and her heart stopped for a second, out of relief and happiness and anger all at the same time. Derek exhaled before he smiled, happy and so good to see her again. At first they hugged, tighter than any human could've endured. Then she hit him in the chest — repeatedly.

"Gods, where the hell have you been?!" She yelled and her throat thickened as her eyes got wetter. "It's been weeks! You can't just show up here and smile as if nothing's–"

Before she could finish, Derek pulled her in for another hug. She buried her face against his chest and let it all out, shivering when he stroked the back of her head. She had completely given up on the idea that Derek was alive, but here he was, hugging and comforting her as if she was the one who needed it. Vanessa's hands were shaking while she sobbed and Derek kissed her head for a long moment as a tear ran down his cheek.

"Sorry. I've been so afraid and you haven't been out either, so it was hard not to see you at school. I'm fine, Nessa."

"You're not–" She stopped herself, ended the hug carefully and wiped her cheeks before continuing. "You're not fine. I... I heard about the fire, about your family... There's no way you're fine."

"You're right." He sighed and cupped her face in his hands. He barely recognized her and she barely recognized him. Her eyes had lost their usually happy glow, there were dark bags underneath them, her face seemed as if she'd aged at least a year and her hair was messy, not styled like it mostly was — and even when it was unfixed, it was never this uncared for. He looked worn out, buffier for some reason and his cocky, charming aura had been replaced with this weary mood. "I'm not fine. I never will be. I just lost my family..."

"I heard Peter and Laura were alive as well." She whispered carefully.

"Peter's in a coma, but he's alive. Laura and I have been discussing what to do from now on and honestly, neither of us know. We have no money, no plan... God, I hate to ask you this but–"

"Come on." She nodded toward behind her, seizing his hand and leading him inside the house. He didn't need to finish his sentence because she could read him so well now; that pained expression he had every time he asked for a favor. Besides, he had no house to live in or a family to take care of him. At least Laura was older and more prepared for adulthood.

"Nessa... I just need to say something and please don't roll your eyes at me." He murmured as they sat down on the couch side by side. She slowly bent one leg to sit on and rested her arm against the top of the couch.

"I don't think I'm in the mood to roll my eyes exactly, but you never know with me." She shrugged and managed a weak smile. He laughed. A genuine, soft laugh. Derek couldn't remember the last time he laughed.

"That's true." He grinned and nervously played with his fingers. "Look, I... I don't think I've ever said this, but I do love you." He started, making her flinch out of surprise. "I don't even think I need to explain how much you mean to me because you do and I'm so grateful that you've always been there for me. After the fire, I went looking for you but I couldn't find you and I feared the worst. I believed that Kate had gotten to you or something and it... I just couldn't imagine what to do without you. I mean, I need you in my life. Being without you for this long has been so empty and hard and you're the only person I can confide in. I love you so much and you need to know that."