Chapter Eight: Old Oak

"I can't believe I'm finally going to see Old Oak again! I didn't think I was ever going to see it again after the last time I almost got caught coming back from..."

Willa drifted off as she remembered she would never be able to go back to Garthwain. She grew up there, wasn't able to be herself completely, but it had still been her home. In a way. Then again, ever since her mum had passed home seemed like a foreign word. She knew she had a dad, but only remembered the feel of his warm hugs. The deep melodic sound of his laugh, and the way he would look at her mum. She didn't remember his face per say, but she did remember his eyes. They were kind, even when she had done something bad. They were always filled with love and compassion. They were a mesmerizing grey. Not just any grey, that of a fresh storm cloud infused with silver and flecks of a deep midnight blue. Mum had told her when he was concentrating on using his Earth powers the Goddess had given him, the flecks of silver and midnight blue would turn to gold infused dark green. She said that's why my eyes are a deep moss green with gold and silver flecks and when I use my magick they would flash a magnificent midnight blue.

Willa jerked out of her thoughts at the sight of Old Oak.

"Ohmy!! It's a beautiful as ever Eve!"

"Why is it glowing mama?" Bouldarg eyed the tree with a look of awe and wonder. There were fairies fluttering around everywhere. They were getting ready for the festivities that were to commence at dusk.

"Those are the other fairies who live..."

"WILLA!" A male voice cut her explanation short.

"It couldn't be?" Willa swung around and saw her long lost friend, Aidan. He was the one she missed terribly besides her loving mother.

"I've been waiting for you to arrive all after...IS THAT A DRAGON?!"

Willa couldn't help but laugh at Aidan's reaction to see Bouldarg, of whom was sticking out from under the hem of her tunic.

"Why yes. Yes, it is. This is Bouldarg. Bouldarg, meet Aidan. He is one of my dearest, friends."

"Is he going to keep staring like that?"

Willa looked up and laughed, Aidan had his head tilted to the left and his brow was scrunched so tight it made him look like he had one big caterpillar on his forehead.

"He's not going to bite. He's already eaten his weight in fish and stones, don't ask, and is just as curious as you. By the way, how have you been?! I haven't seen you in more than a years' worth of moons."

"Nothing near as fun as you, it seems. If I may, how did you come upon a hatchling?"

"Well,...he's mine actually. He hatched for me. Then we had to leave, more like run, but anyways."

At this Aidan was smiling from ear to ear. Just like Willa. Aidan was a Halfling. Though Willa was half-elf and human Aidan was half fairy and elf. Hence why he lived near Old Oak. He was able to fly and shrink like the fairies were, but he had ways of reaching the leafy tops of the trees. He had the magick of his mother for making things grow and the expert marksmanship of his father. His father, like Willas' had been, was a man of deepest regard of the Elven King and Queen. Then again, when your dad was the youngest brother of the King that tended to happen. Aidan didn't get to see his dad that much since something about halflings being seen as filth now that the king had passed and the royal son had disappeared leaving the queen in a spell of heartbreak and the nephew of the king to take over.

"Not over there! It goes by the cattails!" While Aidan and Willa had been talking Eve had started telling the others where the stumps and food tables went. The pyre had been set up and only need be lit come dusk. The food table was littered with all kinds of treats from acorn soup, maple cookies, and even fresh bread. There were some meats and cheeses placed too for those who preferred cheese and of course meat for the meat eaters who were to arrive closer to dusk. The thing about this festival was it was about rejoicing and coming together as the Goddess wished. It was to celebrate the Summer Equinox and all animals, fairies, and even some elves and witches were going to be here! It was one of the most anticipated events in the Enchanted Forest. Old Oak was always the place for the Solstice and Equinox festivities. Every year there was a gathering to celebrate the Goddesses gifts to everyone and to celebrate the friendships we all had in one another. Old Oak wasn't called Old Oak for no reason. Old Oak had been named that due to it being the oldest and biggest, not to mention the Goddesses gift to the Faires the many, many, MANY moons ago when she enchanted the forest to make a safe haven for all of those who were hunted by the humans. Hence the forest became known as the Enchanted Forest, and Old Oak the home of the Fairies and the place for all to gather, in the special times of the year. It was a safe haven with different living places set in it and around its borders of the Enchanted Forest.