Chapter One: Dragon Egg

The village square was overflowing with people. They were pushing and shoving each other, trying to see the young men who were walking around in the dragon hatchery. Today was the Dragon Egg Picking Celebration, and the young men were waiting for their eggs to claim them. Willa had seen this celebration at least ten other times since coming to live here in the kingdom; where her belated mother had grown up. It intrigued her how the eggs seemed to know which young man was theirs and which ones were not.

She had just finished cleaning out the stables and had decided to come see how many eggs were left on her way to the bakers. She happened to spot a tiny path between the small rock wall bordering the hatchery arena and the hoard of people. She maneuvered this way and that and finally reached the path. As she glanced into the hatchery she noticed that all the eggs had been chosen and that the hoard of people was starting to disperse. She started walking again but suddenly stopped. "What was that noise?" She thought silently to herself. As she started moving again the noise became louder. As she moved farther down the path she saw a glimmer of pale blue from something in the arena and turned. There in the dirt laid a single egg, unlike any she had ever seen. It blended in with the arena sand quite well with its solid gold and silver flecked shell. She walked closer to the wall and leaned in.

"What that girl lookin' at?" shouted one of the villagers. Willa hadn't realized that the townsfolk had heard the noise too and that they had come to investigate. As she leaned farther in, the egg began to shake. A brilliant light burst from the egg causing everyone who was watching to close their eyes. There lying in the remains of what used to be a shell, was a dragon hatchling. Unlike any of the dragons she had ever seen, which weren't many, or heard of, this one was more beautiful than words could describe. The little hatchling sneezed causing a cloud of smoke to come out of its nose and rolled onto its belly. All Willa could do was stare at it until someone shouting behind her brought her back to reality.

"Who's is it?" asked one of the old men.

"What kind of dragon is it? I never saw one like that" said another.

As the town folk continued there questioning Willa climbed over the two-foot wall and dropped down. She crouched in front of the hatchling and put her hand out for it to smell. She decided to do something she would normally not do in front of other people: use her gift. She looked the dragon in the eyes and gasp at the sheer coloring of them. She had never seen eyes that were the color of freshly fallen snow with hints of silver dust in them. She stared at him in awe and couldn't seem to move. The eyes. They were familiar, and yet not all at the same time. She had dreamed of these eye. She thought to herself. Dreams that had been misted in a likeness to fog. She had had one just the night before, she realized. She found the one she had been dreaming of. Of battles and lessons, and peace and family and love. She had, or she supposed, would be having all those dreams come true with him. no, she realized, "not dreams, visions." she said aloud. "We're to have them all come to past and more adventures than what I've forseen." She whispered to the young one.