Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Moana's POV

 I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but Maui seems to be softening up to me. Not too much of course but just slightly. It's a step in the right direction. "So Maui, where is your hook?" He winces. Bad question Moana, turn back now before he snaps at you. I brace myself for the impact that surprisingly doesn't come. "Well I lost it a thousand years ago in my time. Time works different for us Gods/Goddesses and Demigods/Demigoddesses than it does for you mortals. To answer your question though, a crab named Tamatoa has my hook. He lives in Lalatoi." I gasp. "Lalatoi, the realm of monsters?" Maui smirks at me. "The one and only. You know for a mortal girl, you seem to know a lot of history. I have to admit that I'm impressed. Where exactly are you from Moana?" I laugh at that. "If I told you, I doubt you'd believe me." 

  Maui takes a step forwards me, crossing his arms across his chest. "Moana, I've been alive for nearly four thousand years. I know I don't look a day over twenty five in mortal years, but I've seen and heard far weirder things in my lifetime than what you're about to tell me." I sigh. "Well, don't say I didn't warn you. I'm from Florida. It's a state in the United States. Have you ever heard of it?" "I have actually. It's a very tropical like state, though I have yet to visit there." "Well I was junior in high school and left one evening a little over a week ago." Maui now begins to look at me in confusion. "What's a high school?" "It's basically a prison." Maui snorts. "When you put it like that, I'm glad I don't know anything about it nor do I ever wish to experience it." Maui rubs a finger across his chin. "Now that I think about it, I think I did pull up some of your state's islands long ago. Have you ever been to the Florida Keys?" 

   I look at him shock. "I go there on vacation every summer. You really pulled up the Florida Keys?" He nods while grinning. "That's so cool Maui!" Maui playfully bows. "You're welcome. Your world seems interesting Moana. I honestly wish I knew as much about your world as you do about mine. If I didn't know any better, I'd also say that you're intrigued by my world enough to be apart of it as well." "Are you a mind reader?" He puts his hands up in surrender. "I promise I'm not analyzing you to be an asshole. It's just that when you talk about where you come from, you don't seem to be all that happy." My smile shifts into a frown. "I want to be happy. It's just my life is so stressful. The only person who gets me is my grandmother Tala. My parents are pressuring me into being the leader of my state while I want to travel the world and have a job where I can spend a lot of time by the ocean." 

    I sit down and put my head in my hands. I jump a minute later when I feel a big, strong arm wrap itself around me. "Moana, I know I've been asshole to you and I'm sorry. I know how you feel though. I went to great lengths to please mortals for far too long only to realize that nothing will ever please some people. That's what you need to realize. I know you're young and still finding your way both as a person and in the world, but I have a feeling you'll figure it out. As for your dream job, I can totally picture you studying ocean life and such. The ocean seems to be quite fond of you. You're the first mortal it's chosen to come find me. Sure I've met other mortals, but none of them were the ocean's chosen ones. I think that goes to show that you're more special than you realize." I look up at him in shock. "Who are you and what happened to Maui?" Maui smirks at me. "I'll go back to being self centered in a little while, but for now, I want to talk with you a bit." 

   I smile at him. "Thank you Maui. I know that we had a rocky start, but I'd like to think we could work our way up to being friends." Maui then looks at me in shock. "A friend? I haven't had a friend in a thousand years. The last time I had a friend was before I ripped off Tamatoa's leg." "You ripped off Tamatoa's leg and you expect him to just cough up your hook? No offense Maui, but I don't think he's going to be very pleased to see us, especially you." "No offense taken, though I should warn you, you need to be very careful when we get there. There are creatures far worse than Tamatoa and I don't want to see you dead before we even get my hook back." I roll my eyes. "And Maui's back." He rolls his eyes back at me. "Ha ha, very funny. Anyways, we're not too far from Lalatoi so get ready." I nod and prepare myself for the horrors I'm most likely about to encounter. 

At the entrance of Lalatoi...

   Maui does a chant and dance that opens up the entrance to Lalatoi. He jumps in first, continuously shouting "I'm still falling!" Geez Maui, that's real comforting. I jump in after him, closing my eyes so nothing lands in them. I end up falling on top of Maui. I smirk down at him. "Thanks for volunteering to be my cushion Maui." He simply rolls his eyes before we get up. "Maui, what role will be playing in this?" Maui smirks down at me. "You'll be bait. Here's a tip though, get Tamatoa to talk about himself. Sometimes he even does it in song form." I roll my eyes. "No wonder the two of you were once friends." Maui ignores my comment and disappears, leaving me to lure out Tamatoa. 

    "Look at me, I'm so shiny and covered in sparkles.", I say in a bored tone of voice. Maui then pops out of hiding. "You're not selling it!" I hiss at him. "This is stupid!" Then out of nowhere, the ground begins to move and I'm face to face with Tamatoa. "You're an odd looking thing." He lifts me up and inspects me further, frowning once he realizes that I'm a human. "Ugh, it's a human. Where are you doing down here in the realm of monsters?" I have to think of a lie quick... I got it! "Us mortals have heard the legend about the fabulous crab and were wondering how you became so... crabulous." Tamatoa grins at me. "I'd be glad to... in song form!" 

Well, Tamatoa hasn't always been this glam
I was a drab little crab once
Now I know I can be happy as a clam
Because I'm beautiful, babyDid your granny say listen to your heart
Be who you are on the inside
I need three words to tear her argument apart
Your granny lied!
I'd rather beShiny
Like a treasure from a sunken pirate wreck
Scrub the deck and make it lookShiny
I will sparkle like a wealthy woman's neck
Just a sec!Don't you know
Fish are dumb, dumb, dumb
They chase anything that glitters (beginners!)Oh, and here they come, come, come
To the brightest thing that glitters
Mmm, fish dinnersI just love free food
And you look like seafood (seafood)

 Maui comes out of hiding with his hook in hand. He tries to shapeshift but lacks the power to do so. He simply stands on top of Tamatoa's shell looking mortified. Tamatoa snarls at him and starts singing once again.

Well, well, well

Little Maui's having trouble with his look

You little semi-demi-mini-god

Ouch! What a terrible performance
Get the hook (get it?)
You don't swing it like you used to, manYet I have to give you credit for my start
And your tattoos on the outside
For just like you I made myself a work of art
I'll never hide; I can't, I'm tooShiny
Watch me dazzle like a diamond in the rough
Strut my stuff; my stuff is soShiny
Send your armies but they'll never be enough
My shell's too toughMaui man, you could try, try, try
But you can't expect a demi-god
To beat a decapod (give it up)You will die, die, die
Now it's time for me to take apart
Your aching heartFar from the ones who abandoned you
Chasing the love of these humans
Who made you feel wanted
You tried to be tough
But your armour's just not hard enoughMaui
Now it's time to kick your
Hiney
Ever seen someone soShiny
Soak it in 'cause it's the last you'll ever see
C'est la vie mon ami
I'm soShiny
Now I'll eat you, so prepare your final plea
Just for me
You'll never be quite as
Shiny
You wish you were nice and
Shiny

  By the end of the song, Maui has taken quite the beating. I managed to get back the heart that Tamatoa tried to steal from me. I forgot to mention that before, my bad. I set up a decoy to distract him long enough for us to escape. I guess you could say this stop was somewhat of a success. 

Hoped that you guys liked this chapter! :) -Mary