Ease

Avi felt his heart rate dramatically with every step he took towards Kirstie's room. He thought the bar of chocolate would melt underneath his sweaty palm and the single, yellow sunflower in his other hand suddenly felt like it would slip at any second. When he finally arrived at the door he suddenly felt sick and almost made a one-eighty to turn back to his own room.

It will be fine, Avi, he reassured himself. What's the worst that could happen? It's not like she's going to attack you or something...

He was just grateful that Scott had managed to convince Esther's arm to join him for a drink so him and Kirstie could be alone. It would be rather awkward having his older sister in the room. 

He moved the chocolate to his other hand so he could use it to knock. After drawing in a shaky breath, Avi knocked loudly three times on the door.

"Go away, I'm busy!" came Kirstie's voice from inside the room, sounding harsh and unlike her. She only used to speak to one person like that before, and it was Avi himself, when they couldn't stand each other back then.

Kirstie's words didn't discourage him though, and he continued to bang on the door more aggressively until he heard a loud sigh, followed by a scream of, "Fine! I'm coming!"

The door was only open for a split second before Kirstie realised the irritating knocking was coming from none other than the father of her baby. She had never been that quick in her life to slam the door shut in someone's face, but Avi was quick too, and managed to wedge his foot in the door to stop it. 

"Kirstie, please... if you would just let me explain..."

"I don't want to hear whatever shitty excuse you made up," she hissed. "Now, can you please move your fucking foot out my door so I can continue to watch Stranger Things?" 

Just leave her alone, she clearly doesn't want your company.

But he couldn't. He had to face her some time or another and he was prepared to face her now. He knew that if he left he probably wouldn't come back. "Please... I'm begging you here. You don't have to forgive me right now, I just want you to hear me out." His voice was desperate and his eyebrows were scrunched together and his heart was aching like crazy. 

Kirstie glanced at his tired face, his eyes that looked duller than normal. She was weak; she gave in and stepped back to open the door wider to allow Avi to come through. 

"Thank you." He grinned. "I brought these for you," he said shyly, like a small schoolboy would say to a pretty girl he liked, and put his hand out. Kirstie looked at the sunflower and chocolate in his large hand and thought her heart would explode. Her favourite flower and her favourite chocolate, who wouldn't be ecstatic? She couldn't help the smile that formed on her face but she quickly hid it away. She didn't want to allow Avi to get to her, although, she could herself losing that battle.

"Thanks," she said without any intonation, almost sounding robotic. Awkwardly, she took the sunflower and chocolate out of his hand and poured water into a glass for the bright, yellow flower. Throughout the whole process, Avi stood in the corner of the room, dragging his foot across the floor in hopes of it distracting him from the pounding of blood in his ears.

"Well, it was nice of you to stop by, you can be on your way again," Kirstie said, opening the door again in hopes of Avi stepping out.

"Wait... what? I thought you were going to listen to me?"

"Frankly, I don't care to hear your bullshit right now so please leave me alone."

"Kirst, listen-"