Work This Out

4 new messages from Kirstin:

can i see you sometime today??
we should talk
... and i miss you
text me back when you get this please :(

***

5 new messages from Kirstin:

uhm hi you still haven't replied
are you getting these messages??
you know what i'm going to your room
okay well kevin said you weren't there
just... text me back asap. please.

***

9 new messages from Kirstin:

it's been three days avriel
three. fucking. days.
you can't hide from me forever 
and you can't have kevin lie for you every time i visit your room
listen if you didn't enjoy it then just tell me because this really fucking hurts
what did i do wrong?? 
are you mad at me????
well . ok then
text me when you're ready to talk

***

Avi sighed miserably and threw his phone onto the carpeted flooring, landing with a dull thud. 

"I don't know why exactly you're hiding from Kirstie, but it's not fair that you're leaving her hanging like this. Text her back, bro," Kevin preached as mindlessly fiddled with his cello, not actually playing the stringed instrument.

"I will text her back... just not right now," he mumbled and jumped onto his soft bed. The pillows still smelled like her, like flowers in the spring time. As cliche as that sounded, it truly reminded him of her, and it made his heart ache even more.

"You know, if you told me your situation, I may have been able to help you," Kevin muttered under his breath, but still loud enough for Avi to hear him. 

"I wish I could tell you, Kev, but it's just way too complicated. I will tell you eventually but not right now. I'm sorry." Kevin grumbled and focused back onto his instrument. "Besides, I know you're hiding something from me yourself."

Kevin literally felt his heart stop beating for a split second and his body went numb, causing his bow to fall out his hand. How did Avi find out? Was it in the newspapers already? Kevin figured that the people of Las Vegas would be talking about it, but it had only been three days since the accident had happened. Just thinking about it made his mind foggy and almost sent him into a complete daze. He ran over a person! He had no idea whether they were dead or alive, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to know. It would only be a matter of time before someone figured out it was him who did it, and then he would be in prison before he could even blink.

"Umm, Kevin? Are you still there?" Avi asked, looking quite concerned at his best friend who had a blank expression on his face. 

"Huh?" 

"Are you okay? I asked you about your secret and you completely zoned out on me, brother."

"I don't have a secret," he grumbled. "I have no idea why you think I'm hiding something but I'm not, so just leave me alone."

If anything, the way Kevin was behaving just confirmed Avi's suspicions. He could basically see the weight of the world being pressed down on his friend's shoulders, making him an irritable beatboxer. Kevin gave him a cold look and it broke Avi's heart to see his friend like this, he knew that this wasn't the real Kevin. He wanted to verbalise his thoughts but thought it would do more harm than good, so he kept his mouth shut. 

"I'm going to go speak to Scott, text me if you need anything," Avi said quietly before exiting the hotel room.

However, Avi couldn't even walk a few steps down the passage before he was violently and suddenly pulled into a dark closet. "What the-" but unfortunately he couldn't finish his sentence as a small hand was slapped over his mouth.

"Shhh, you don't want anyone hearing us, do you?" The room was so dark that Avi could barely see the figure in front of him but he could recognise that voice anywhere. 

"What are you doing, Kirstie?" Avi asked once her hand was taken away.

"You were fucking avoiding me like the plague, Avi. You weren't replying to any of my texts either, drastic times call for drastic measures." Avi just huffed in reply and stared at his black shoes - mainly because he felt guilty. 

"I wasn't avoiding you, you just happened to miss me whenever you were looking for me," Avi muttered his lies and he knew the second it escaped his mouth that it would be unconvincing.

"Bullshit. Ever since we slept together you haven't been able to look me in the eye," the blonde hissed and stabbed Avi in the chest with her manicured nail. 

"Because it's strange for me!" He retorted. "Before we came to Vegas we hated each others guts and didn't talk to each other unless necessary. Now we're so close that the others are already suspicious and we make out and have sex and it's all so weird for me. I'm not usually one to just have casual sex and I'm currently having these overwhelming feelings that I'm struggling to figure out what they are or what they mean." Avi realised the more that he spoke, the more that Kirstie's face fell. "I just thought that some space from you would help me figure out what I'm feeling, that's all."

Kirstie's expression was blank for awhile until her face crumpled completely. "I'm sorry that I'm the cause of your confusion." She pushed past Avi in order to leave the room but he pulled her back in by the waist. 

"No, Kirst, I'm not saying this is your fault," he sighed, rubbing a hand over his tired face. "I'm just trying to figure things out, okay? That's all I'm trying to do here."

"And have you managed to figure things out over these past three days?" She asked quietly, biting her lip while the nerves were eating away at her slowly. She looked up at Avi with expectant eyes and his heart fluttered in his chest.

Tell how you really feel, tell her you have feelings for her. You want to be in a relationship with her.

She doesn't like me like that, all she's getting out of this is sex basically. She's just lonely and I happen to be there. She doesn't want a relationship with me.

Avi fought with himself inside of his head until he had finally reached a conclusion. He took a deep breath in and said, "I don't think we should be doing this anymore. I-I'm just too fragile. I invest my heart into everything and somehow it always ends up getting broken. I'm really sorry."

Kirstie was crushed, she wouldn't dare show it though. She put on a faux smile and quickly wiped away the tears that were starting to escape her eyes; luckily, it was too dark for Avi to notice. "Yeah, you're right, everything can go back to normal now." This time she succeeded in pushing past Avi and exiting the room. Once she was out in the hallway, she finally let the flood gates open, leaving Avi there in the closet, filled with tons of emotions. 

The one question that was running through his mind was: What was normal for them?

hi here's a trashy chapter that i threw together but omg thank you so much for 1k reads here?? and 8k reads on three years???? that book is my favourite by far and that fact that it's getting so much love makes me :') anyway, i hope you liked this chapter! it's 1am right now so it's probably very bad i'm sorry i tried