Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

I'd never dressed like this before. I had never applied makeup this bold and noticeable. My hair was never on fleek like it somehow was right now.

I could hardly recognize myself in the mirror. I didn't know if this was a good thing or a bad thing at this point. But either way, it was too late to question anything.

I clutched my favorite bright red handbag to myself, taking in a breath to calm my nerves that had built up. I didn't really know what to expect from the dance.

It felt strange walking to school at night. But the cool evening breeze made everything seem so peaceful. I listened to the sound of the crickets chirping their songs, as if they were egging me on, telling me to not be so nervous.

As I started nearing the school, I spotted several other people dressed up making their way towards it as well. There were girls dressed in really glittery and pretty dresses, making me feel a little inferior, no matter how unreasonable that was.

The couples chattered excitedly, laughing loudly among each other with that teenage spirit that we all were supposed to have. 

I reached up and ran a hand through my hair. It was fine. I looked great. At least I thought I did.

I had finally turned the corner, and the school was in sight. The decorations were all strewn about, like tapestries and streamers of all different types. I could hear the faint beats of the music coming from inside the school, making me feel nervous again.

I saw him in the distance, leaning against a bicycle rack, his phone in one hand. The light from his screen illuminated his face, making him more recognizable. Genji. Carrot. My date.

I don't think I would've known it was him unless he had that damn green hair. He didn't see me coming just yet, and just kept on typing away carelessly on his phone. I smiled to myself uncontrollably.

His hair was gelled, it seemed, in a really neat and fancy way. He was dressed in a classy black suit and a white dress shirt underneath, and black pants to match it all. He looked so sophisticated, so attractive.

I found myself blushing before I had even reached him.

His gaze flickered up from his phone as I neared, and without emotion, kind of stared at my face for a moment. 

Instinctively, I looked away, just as I stepped under the illumination of a street lamp, which I did purposely so that he could see that it was me. I smiled shyly, reaching up and tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear, and stopped walking.

Genji said nothing. In fact, he seemed kind of frozen if anything. He hadn't moved, hadn't expressed any kind of emotion at all.

I began to feel worried. Did he not recognize me? Is that what was going on here? I met his burning gaze, and opened my mouth to speak, to tell him that it was me.

"Oh my god," he breathed to himself. He seemed to drink me in at that moment, eyes trailing from the top of my body to the bottom and back up again.

I laughed lightly, nervously, at this. I smiled warmly at him. "I'm not that hideous, am I?"

"Oh my god," he repeated, eyes still wide with shock. He put the phone away in his pocket, and took a few hesitant steps towards me. A small grin teased at his lips, and his eyebrows relaxed in a calm and innocent manner.

"(Y/n) (L/n). You're... g-glowing," he stuttered.

"So are you. Shimada."

We both beamed at each other wordlessly, our eyes not moving from each other's eyes. People passed in between us to get to the door, but it was like we didn't even notice. A storm could've been raging on outside right now, and I'm sure we would still look at each other the same way.