"Thea!" Damien roared, diving past me to cover her hand with his.

She pushed against his chest, her face contorted in anger. "What? Do you expect me to stand by and watch him get inside her head? No fucking way, Damien."

I dared to risk a glance at Phoenix. He was holding Terra in the way he'd held me countless times before; his arms were wound around her waist and her head was safely tucked beneath his chin. My stomach lurched with unease and I stepped away, unable to bear witness to the blatant show of affection.

"Could I talk to you, Isa?"

I looked at the Beta as he slipped through the door, hands shoved in his pockets. I fidgeted, remembering how I'd threatened him.

After a moment, I nodded. "Sure."

His blonde hair waved slightly in the wind as he beckoned me with a tilt of his head. I muttered a quick goodbye to Thea and followed the Beta, my steps inelegant and cautious in comparison to his easy gait.

"There's to be a meal this evening for the most esteemed pack members to commemorate the Alpha's return." he said softly, glancing at me as he walked. "You're required to attend."

I stilled, anger rising in my gut. Vilkov noticed my silence and turned around, narrowing his eyes.

"No way." I deadpanned, folding my arms across my chest. "I'm not the Luna, nor am I some loyal pack member. I don't have to attend anything."

For a moment the Beta was silent. His eyes swept over my form, lingering on my clenched fists and quirked brow.

He was beside me in a flash.

I stumbled away, shocked by his sudden intrusion of my personal space. His eyes blazed black, a sure sign that his wolf was present.

"I get it. You're pissed off. You have every right to be, Isa. But you need to fight." he said, his jaw clenched. "Terra may be kind but she is not our Luna. You are. You need to fight for that...you need to prove yourself to him."

I looked the Beta straight in the eye and scoffed, my chin lifting upward. "I will not. He is not worth the effort. The only person I will ever feel obligated to prove anything to is myself."

Determination rose in the wake of my sadness. I was determined to make him regret it. I was determined to make him see who I truly was...his worst nightmare, cloaked in the colours of his greatest dream.

"Fine." Vilkov acquiesced, admitting defeat by lowering his eyes. I smirked triumphantly. "But you will still dine with us this evening, Isa."

My smirk died.

"What?" I demanded, my eyes widening. "You're serious, aren't you?"

"You're our guest. It would be strange if you weren't in attendance." Vilkov shrugged.

Judging by the glint in Vilkov's eyes, there was no way that I would manage to weasel my way out of attending.

"Fine." I sighed. "Anything else?"

"Phoenix asks that you hide your mark from sight, though I can see that you've already done that."

I nodded and turned away, though a pang of guilt stopped me in my tracks. I looked over my shoulder at the Beta, who was watching me leave.

"Oh, and Vilkov?" I said, my voice losing its hard edge. "I'm sorry about this morning. I was angry and I took it out on you."

He smiled gently. "It's alright, Isa. It was a privilege to be threatened by you."