handy dandy

(AN: another filler. sorry. also, that is Cora's blade.)

"You need to go back." We had reached the rooftop and I was ready to go, unfortunately, Murdock had other ideas.

"And you need to shut up," I muttered, realizing that the pain I had been feeling was almost gone. Almost.

"I can hear your breathing change when you are in pain."

"I think you need my approval to listen to my... whatever."

"I can't help it, I don't what you getting hurt on my watch."

"I'm not what you should be worrying about Murdock. I'm a cop. I know how to deal with things like this." And...

"Not like this." He explained with an infant like immaturity. He had no idea.

"Shut your mouth, Murdock!" I yelled pushing him to the ground. I turned away, huffing and puffing, whilst I let him get back up.

"Strong." He muttered.

"Stupid." I mockingly poked him in the chest as I got ready to leave. "Let's get this over with."

--

"Where are you going? We have to get to the Russians!" Murdock complained as I ran across the rooftops.

"I need something..."

"And that is?" He panted, trying to keep up.

I jumped off another rooftop and rolled as I landed on another. Some people unfamiliar with 'parkour'  didn't understand that rolling was necessary. Unless you wanted to break every bone in your body on impact with hard concrete rooftops.

Murdock was surprisingly good at this, so I knew that he had been trained from a young age. His movement mimicked that of a ninja, but there was a hint of boxing background shown in his fighting. Acrobatic blind ninja lawyer was a good description of the man.

"What are you doing?" He continued to yell but muttered as I hopped down next to my car. I had parked it in the alley next to my apartment. I picked the lock since I had forgotten my keys and flung open the trunk as Murdock landed next to me.

"Your car? What are you getting?" He questioned, running his hand over the metal.

"No fingerprints mister!" I whispered a yell.

"So they don't catch me?" His confused face almost made me laugh.

"No," I swatted his hand of the vehicle. "Because I will make you clean it." He laughed as I sighed, lifting up the false bottom of the trunk.

"What..." He came to stand next to me as he looked at my collection of toys.

"You are straight out of the movies..." He scoffed as I sifted through my gear. Nunchucks, sticks, guns, and more guns. A few other toys had made it into my collection, but it would take a few days to list them all. I picked up an instrument from the back of the trunk. I unsheathed the blade, making sure to shut it tightly with the same admiration.

"Woah." He muttered, reaching for the blade.

"This is one of my prized possessions Murdock. You are not touching this!"

"How old is that?" I knew that he could tell, but he definitely was contemplating if that number was correct.

"Very..." I muttered leaning it in the closest part of the trunk. I then pulled out a duffel bag. I handed it to Murdock as I unzipped it. He stared at me in shock. "What?"

"Nothing." He replied.

I pulled out a thin metal sheet-like object. I put it on my face, strapping it tight on the back.

"You're kidding me. I thought you said masks were stupid and not necessary?" He scoffed as I flipped him off.

"It makes my eyes pop." It did. It was dark red across the face, with black around the eyes. It was handy for protection, and a terrific fashion statement.

"You off to a masquerade?" He laughed mockingly again.

"I would love to be doing that right now, actually. Unfortunately, I am stuck with you. And you cannot speak! You have a fucking scarf over your head!"

"It's not a scarf-" He defended but I shushed him as I grabbed another thing out of the duffel bag. I took out the polished metallic bottle and unscrewed the lid. "A... flask?" His face contorted confusedly as I threw all of the liquid down my throat. I tilted the flask at a strange angle to get it all, right to the last drop.

"Don't judge me, Church boy." I pulled the bag out of his hands and chucked it in the trunk, along with my now empty flask. I pulled out my sword as I shut the false bottom, then the trunk.

"Can we go now?" He was ready to go. "Why do you have that?" He pointed to the sword that I had put on my waist. There was a 'handy-dandy' belt that perfectly accompanied any weapon, and it was especially useful for holding my blades.

"Why not?"

"Because you aren't going to kill anybody. I thought you were an officer of the law."

"I am." I left it at that, but he was not pleased with my answer. He gripped my arm as I started to walk to wherever we were going.

"No killing." His tone almost sent a shiver down my spine.

"Fine. But if it's self-defense, I'm doing whatever the fuck I want. 'As the law states'." I mocked his profession slightly, making it a point to huff as I turned around again.

"Where'd you get that sword? It's old."

So am I. "I already told you. And, I have many. This is my... special one." He looked at me strangely, but with a small hint of admiration. Was he jealous? Maybe so, but I didn't care. I hopped onto the fire escape up above us by jumping and holding onto the edge. I flipped myself up as Murdock did the same.

--

We had arrived at one of the buildings which were listed on the burner phone. Murdock was focusing, listening to whatever was happening down below. I had argued that we should just go inside, and kick all of their asses. He replied with a scoff and ignored me for the next couple of minutes. 

"Okay," I exclaimed as Murdock stood up and turned to me. "Are we done listening? Can we go punch some people now?"

"Not yet. They know where Fisk is." He explained as he tightened the back of his mask. 

"Fisk?" I remembered something from a while back. 

"You know him?" 

"No... but I've heard that name before. I didn't take it too seriously. No public records of the guy. Nothing." Almost nothing.

I had been following up a lead when I came across a hitman. He worked for Fisk, killing people, shit like that. I had gotten the name out of him. I gave him a mercy killing. He was going to die anyway, and I didn't have the resources to keep him safe. I didn't want anything to compromise the life that I had made because it was going well. Too well. 

"You want to say something else." He insisted for me to continue but I cross my head. 

"We need to get Fisk. H-he is more important than the Russians. If we get him, then the Russians will fall as well." Hopefully. He gave a curt nod.

Murdock and I ran off the rooftop and dived into the darkness below. As we followed the Russians, I had conflicted thoughts. Was it good to be back in the life? Should I be keeping quiet? My answers to these questions were non-existent. I was... lost.