41 - "I don't want to hurt you."

Start from the beginning

   "Oh okay... so why are you calling?" I asked.

   "Um just wanted to hear your voice," he said obviously lying. 

    "Austin.... you can tell me anything."

   "I know... can you meet up with me? At school in about an hour?"

   "Why? Isn't the school locked up by now?"

    "I don't care. We need to talk." I inwardly groaned. Were we having relationship drama already? We just kissed last night. But I didn't question him. For all I knew he just wanted to talk about us telling everyone or something.

   "I'll text you when I leave," I said and hung up on him. I frowned as I set my phone down. 

   "Uncle Ben can you drive me to school in an about an hour?" I called from my room. My door burst open and he poke his head through with a confused expression.

   "Do you have detention or something? Hayden...," he said with a stern look in his eyes. I rolled my eyes.

   "No, I'm meeting up with Austin for a project we have to do," I lied swiftly. When did I become such a good liar?

   "Okay, let me know when you need to leave... oh and Hayden have you talked to Sky lately?" he asked. My face paled.

   "Why?" I asked panicked.

   "Well her dad is acting... strange at work around me. I don't know, it's probably just my imagination. Do your homework, Hayden," he said and was out the door.

   My fear was replaced with anger. I took out my phone again and texted Jonah.

   'What's Sky's number?!'

   His reply was almost instant.

   'Why?'

   'I need to talk to her.. it's urgent.'

   'Okay.... it's **********.' 

   'thank you... will explain later :)'

   I typed in Sky's number in my contact list and hit the call number. It's one thing to mess with me, it's another to mess with my family.

   "Hello?" her sweet small voice asked on the other line.

   "Jonah gave me your number, it's Hayden. What did you tell your father about my uncle?"

   "What?" she asked, her voice sounded startled.

   "Just answer the question!" I yelled getting impatient. She sighed on the side.

   "I only told him to keep an eye on him. Happy?" she asked sounding bored.

   "No, I'm not. Don't mess with my family," I said trying to sound threatening.

   "You ruined my relationship," she cried. Her breaths become shallow and I felt a tiny bit of sympathy for her, but then I remembered I wasn't the freaking one who ruined her relationship.

   "It wasn't me! I'll prove it to you. I'll get him to confess." I said.

   "Of course it was you. You were the only one who knew. So we have a deal. You won't be able to do it though. Just for now I'll stay quiet for a week and if I don't get a confession from anyone then I will tell my dad." She hung up after that leaving her voice echoing in my head. I groaned and leaned against the wall. 

   I took a deep breath and took out a book from my backpack forcing myself to focus on my schoolwork until it was time to meet with Austin.

   ♡♡♡

   Walking around in the school building all alone at 8 o'clock at night when it's dark isn't exactly how I planned my night. I tugged on my sleeves nervously as I turned another corner and saw Austin leaning against his own locker, whispering something to himself.

   "Hi," I said. He looked up realizing I was there and smiling a bright smile but then it vanished as soon as it appeared. 

   "Austin...," I trailed off. He looked up at me as I walked over to him. 

   "What's wrong?" I asked.

   "I don't know if I can do this with you," he whispered so faintly I almost couldn't hear it but as soon as I did I wished I hadn't.

   "What do you mean?" I asked shakily.

   "I love Alex like a brother, and I l... I really like you. I want to be with you. I just can't- I don't even know. I'm really confused. I talked with Alex today and he told me that he's not worried about you liking me because he knows I would never date you, because I would never do that to him."

   "Oh," was all I managed to say. He looke up at me with emotion-filled eyes.

   "Oh? That's it?"

   "What else am I supposed to say?" I asked, with a little emphasis to my words. This was exactly how my world went, when things finally start to get amazing, everything falls apart.

   "Hayden we're just 16, almost 17. We just have little feelings for each other that will fade away soon enough. This doesn't need to work, it will be easier if it doesn't!" he yelled. I winced and his eyes softened. I was speechless. I came here with my hopes up, hoping he wanted to tell everyone about us.

   "If that's what you want...," I whispered softly. I was afraid if I used my voice I would start crying and i'm done with crying.

   He banged his fist against the locker door and I flinched as I heard the loud noise.

   "You don't get it Hayden! This isn't what I want. But I always end up hurting someone. What happened yesterday was real but I don't want to hurt you. And if we do this, you're not going to be the only one that get hurts."

   With those words he fled down the hall away from me, leaving me there breathless and shocked.

   ♡♡♡

   New update every Wednesday and Saturday!

   Vote, Comment, and Fan!