41 - "I don't want to hurt you."

♡ Chapter 41♡

   ♡ Hayden's POV♡ 

   I licked my lips waiting patiently for the bell to sound. I wanted to get out of school as quickly as possible. Austin and Alex has been gone all afternoon and I was worried. Sarah just told me they needed some time away from all of us, just them together. I knew she was right though. 

   The bell rang and the teacher quickly gave us our homework assignment and then we were allowed to leave. I packed up all of my books and rushed out of class. Sarah pulled me back and gave me a look.

   "What?" I groaned. 

   "You're acting all jumpy and secretive today... spill. Who did you hook up with?" she asked with a smirk. My eyes widened.

   "No one. Sarah!" I yelled as we walked out into the hall today.

   "You and Austin disappeared into the woods yesterday during the game... No freaking way. You made out with Austin in the woods didn't you? That's so romantic I can just imagine him pushing you up against a tree and kissing you! I ship Haustin so hard."

   "Haustin?" I asked a little creeped out. She rolled her eyes at me.

   "Hayden and Austin... Haustin? I don't know I just came up with it at the top of my head. But you didn't deny it. Who am I kidding? We all knew this was going to happen someday. Does Alex know? Is that why he ran off today?" she asked in a loud voice.

   "Keep your voice down. Nobody can know about Austin and I okay? And Alex... that was about something else. Alex knows that I know and that I don't like him back and I feel awful enough about it so can we please change the subject?" I asked and she nodded. She looked happy. I guess she was relieved to know my feelings remained towards Austin and that I would never date Alex.

   "So....," then she went on and on about how unfair our literature teacher was and how hot our math teacher was and about a ton of different things and I was grateful to talk about something normal for a change.

   "So are your parents going to come visit you sometime? I'd love to meet them," Sarah said cheerfully as we walked outside. My smile vanished. I forgot that she had no idea. I opened my mouth to respond with some sort of lie but stopped myself. I told myself before I came here that I wouldn't tell anyone unles they found out or I was super close with them.

   Sarah is my best friend. I can tell her anything now and I know she won't leave me. She'll support me. 

   I looked up at her to see her confused face staring over at me. I took a deep breath.

   "Sarah...," I trailed off, not knowing what to say. She had a questioning look on her face and I was interrupting by a loud honk.

   "Hayden! Come on I've got to go," Uncle Ben shouted from his car. I sent Sarah an apologetic look and rushed off to the car leaving behind a confused Sarah.

   ♡♡♡

   "Hello?" I asked into the phone. I could hear shuffling and whispering in the background. I put my math notebook away and held on to the phone.

   "Hayden?" the voice asked and my face lit up.

   "Hi Austin," I said lightly.

   "Hey." My smile vanished as I heard his voice. He sounded stressed.

   "Are you okay?"

   "Yeah just tired. I skipped with Alex because I knew we wouldn't make it back in time for the first class after lunch so we just went to the beach," he explained. I couldn't tell if he was lying or not so I just went along with it.