My disappointment immediately ceased when he pulled a box from the top shelf, took a quick peek under the lid, and smiled. "This is it," he told me confidently.

So it wasn't laying around in the dust after all. I reached out, and he gave me the box. I didn't bother trying to wipe the dust off from the top of the lid, and instead, reached inside it excitedly. I gripped the fabric and pulled it out of the box.

The dress unraveled in my hands, and as soon as I did, I gasped with amazement.

It was a black, gothic-styled victorian dress. A strapless one too, that went all the way down to the ground. It was literally the definition of elegant. Fake yet flawlessly sparkling jewels dotted the chest area to make it shine in any kind of room.

The material was nice and soft, so I knew it would be extra comfortable, and it seemed to be my size. I stared at it in awe, eyes scanning it from top to bottom several times over.

I clutched the dress to my chest, jumping up and down with happiness. Mr. Ikoma grinned upon seeing my reaction, mirroring my inner emotions. 

I jumped forward and hugged him. "Thank you, Mr. Ikoma! You're the bomb!"

"Anything for my best customer."

I was suddenly aware of the time, and let go of him so I could look at my phone to check it. I was late. Kai had asked through text if he could come over to hang out. For whatever reason, he didn't show up to school.

 It was half past the time we had agreed on. My time management was amazing. 

I knew that he was planning on asking me in person about the dance. I could've shot him down right there and then with nothing more than a quick text, but it was better to do that in person as well.

I shoved the dress back into the box, muttering curses to myself. Mr. Ikoma shook his head at my foul language and sighed.

"Sorry my man, I gotta run. Got somewhere to be," I informed him hurriedly.

"Off you go then."

I ran out the door, waving at him as I did, and smiling despite the looming and impending knowledge that I was about to destroy Kai by saying no. "Thanks for the dress again!"

-------------------------------

Panting like a dog, I ran up the street to my house, the box tucked safely under one arm. I was praying that maybe Kai wasn't at my front door waiting for me. I'd made him wait for too long, and it would break my heart to see him sitting there after forty minutes of my absence.

As I walked up the path to my doorway, I sighed to myself in sadness.

Kai was in fact sitting on the top stair in front of my house, leaning idly against one of the structural pillars. He seemed kind of bored and disappointed, ripping a grass strand in half.

He looked up to see me, and his eyes lit up. The grass strand fell from his hand, immediately forgotten. "(Y/n)."

"I'm sorry," I began breathlessly, walking up to him and sitting to his left. I set the box down on the stair, hoping he wouldn't ask me what was in it. "I was at a store and lost track of time."

"I don't mind," he chirped, an innocent grin growing on his glowing face. "You're worth the wait."

"I'm really not," I laughed nervously, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear and avoiding his gaze.

How the hell was I supposed to shoot him down when he asked? He was such a pure bean. He was a great guy. A nice guy.

I wanted so desperately to set him up with someone else, someone other than me, but I didn't want that to be just any girl. I wanted to find him someone who would appreciate just how cool he was.

That was the future, though. For now, I had to get this over with.

"So... you told me to ask you in person. I wasn't at school today, but I'm here now. Will you go with me to the dance?" he asked, as if he was on queue with my thoughts.

There it was. I internally cringed several times over, wanting to fly away from the situation as quick as humanly possible. But my body was here, so I had to deal with it.

I hated this. I hated this so much. The hopeful look in his eyes made me want to die.

I took in a hesitant breath, forcing myself to look him in the eye. Upon not hearing an immediate response, he seemed to understand almost instantly. I did him a favor and confirmed exactly what he was starting to think.

"Kai... you're freaking amazing. And I mean that. Waiting here for me is just... wow. But. I'm uh, going with someone else."

"Oh."

He sighed in disappointment, and shoved his hands in the pockets as he leaned back against the pillar. The lively look in his eyes seemed to die out right in front of me.

Instinctively, I placed my hand on top of his. I didn't want to see him upset about this, but it was kind of inevitable. "I'm sorry. There must be someone else you can ask," I said softly.

"Maybe. I don't know. I'm really bummed you aren't going to be my date."

"You're not missing out on much, I promise."

"Who is it?"

I blinked, as his question deadpanned on me. His eyes flickered to me seriously, and he looked genuinely curious. "Who are you going with?"

"You met him a few days ago."

"Genji."

He said it with such conviction, it almost sounded like he was angry. Or maybe just really hurt that I had chosen Genji over him.

I nodded yes, my other hand coming up from my lap to the scarf wrapped around my neck. I was suddenly aware of its presence because Kai was staring at it as if it explained everything.

He gave me a sad smile, eyes still locked onto the bright orange scarf. "I lost to him a long time ago, didn't I?"

"I... wouldn't say it like that."

"Don't worry about it," he concluded, flipping his hand over and squeezing mine to reassure me he was okay. "I'll back off."

"Please don't! You're one of my best friends!"

Kai let out a huge laugh, shaking his head. This made me smile a little, because that meant that he was okay. For the most part, anyway.

"We're still friends, silly! I just won't try to be anything more. Now, come on, I came over to play video games! Let's go!"

I swear, that took a huge weight off of my chest. Now that that was done and over with, and he didn't seem all that torn up about it, I could rest easy and play some video games with my friend.

That was the last worry I had, crossed off the list along with the dress. Which meant all I had to do now was anticipate, with newfound excitement, the Lotus Dance.

A/n: Yo I'm probs doing a back to back chapter, so you should get the next one within a day. *wonk wonk* Ily see you then.