Chapter 6*

Mothers.

I'm sure if you ask anyone about their mother, they'll tell you how great of a person she is or they'll tell you how much they love their mom. They'll tell you how much time they spend with her and how awesome her company is.

But if you ask me about my mother, I'll tell you how much of a piece of shit she is. I'll tell you how poorly she treated my brother and I when we were kids. I'll tell you how mind numbingly awful it is to even be in her presence.

That may sound harsh but until your own mother is telling you she regrets having you, you won't understand no matter how well I explain.

Growing up, Dillon and I were tossed between different family members and their homes.
During the times when we actually stayed with my mother, I witnessed alot. Too much. Shit a kid my age should have never seen.

She was always drinking and when she drank, she had no control over what she said or what she did and if that meant Dillon or I getting hurt because of it, then so be it.
She didn't care.

I haven't spoken to my mother since I was fourteen.

I have no desire to do so either.

********

"I think I should get a job and help out around here." I explain to my nana as I help her out in the garden.

"Sweetie that'd be nice but you don't have to do that, I have plenty of money to support myself." She retorts.

Such a stubborn woman. (a/n: lalalalalalala)

I grab the shovel and dig a small hole for the carrot seeds.
"Grandma, you're letting us stay here rent free and I just wanna help out and show you how much I appreciate everything you're doing."

She adjusts her glasses and gives me a small smile.
She's never been one to accept hand-outs.

"Okay. You can take my truck and look around town for some help wanted signs."

I remember Zayn telling me about an opening at his record store so that'll be my first stop.

"Great, thank you grandma." I say as I plant a kiss on her cheek before standing up and walking inside the house.

I look at time on the hanging owl shaped wall clock.

Nine fifty two AM

Sound City opens at eleven.

*******

After taking a quick shower, I go to my closet and quickly throw an outfit together.

I take a look at my reflection in the mirror and nod in approval at my impromptu outfit.

A brick colored dress with a paisley shirt underneath. Black tights ran down my legs and black ankle boots adorned my feet.

Business-y yet cute at the same time.