Fates: Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

      Perhaps my subconscious had finally decided to give me some peace. A smile slowly broke out of my lips as realization hit me. As I tried to recall anything from my sleep and came up with nothing, my smile turned into a wide grin and I sat up feeling a lot better than I had in weeks. I tried again and there was nothing. All I could remember were the dreams I had yesterday and the previous weeks. I couldn’t believe it. Maybe I really was overreacting to the memories I had forgotten. Maybe if I tried to simply accept the fact that there really wasn’t anything wrong with not remembering, then the dreams would slowly fade away and my life would be back to normal.

      I got off my bed, my grin still in place, feeling like today was going to be wonderful in a totally different way.  I took a refreshing bath then dressed in jeans and a white blouse with thin black stripes. After tying my hair into a neat bun, I took a pair of black sandals then went to the kitchen to eat my brunch.

      It was time to visit Grampa again.

      I would have to bring some flowers to my parents’ graves first, and then go straight to Grampa’s just fifteen meters away. Before Grampa died, I visited my parents every two months. But then, I had Grampa at that time. Now that every single person I loved was gone, I felt like wanting to live in the cemetery just to be close to my family. I finished the toast, bacon, eggs and orange juice faster than I usually did. Excitement bubbled inside me as I half-walked, half-jumped on my way downstairs, ready to go out, buy flowers and tell Grampa about today’s miracle.

      Amanda must have heard me humming because she greeted me with a smile the moment I opened the bookstore’s back door.

      “Someone must have had a really sweet dream last night,” she teased.

      “On the contrary,” I replied as I helped her put the books bought by our latest customer into a paper bag. “I can’t remember a single dream at all and that’s the reason why I feel so happy today.”

      “Whatever it is, Marge, I sure am glad to see you smiling today. I’ve missed that,” Amanda told me, her eyes glistening.

      She was almost like an older sister to me and her concern was so heartwarming that I couldn’t resist wrapping her in a bear hug. “Aww, thank you, Amanda! You’re the sweetest,” I said, surprising both Amanda and the customer. Their reactions were almost too stunned that all of us emerged laughing in a matter of seconds.

      Really, the day was starting well.

      The customer took her new books and started to leave the store as soon as our laughter had died down. We were still waving at her when I told Amanda where I was planning to go. She nodded with approval as she knew I now visit the cemetery every Sunday.

      I was about to open the door on my way out when Amanda added, “Tell Grampa I said hi.”

      “I will!” I promised, and then the bells were ringing and I was out of the bookstore.

      The flower shop only had a few customers at this time of day and Mrs. Blanchard greeted me with a soft smile. She was in her late thirties with brown hair and medium build. What made her stand out was that despite her rather plump figure, she had dimples that could make anyone melt.

      “Two bouquets of white roses and one of white stargazers, I presume?” she asked me before I could even give her my flower preferences.

       I smiled in response. “It’s easy to remember when I visit every week, isn’t it?”

      “Of course, add that to your stunning red hair and I’d always remember what you wanted to bring to your loved ones in the cemetery,” she replied pleasantly.