Chapter 14: Cage Of Bones

Author's Note- You're going to need tissues for this one. Just...trust me.

Trigger warning(s)- Uncensored language, a vivid nightmare, use of knives, blood, character death (multiple), reliving past trauma, flashbacks, manipulation, examples of war violence, fear of oneself, implied survivor's guilt, a mental breakdown, a panic attack, and violence against another character as a result of that. Please tread lightly.

(Updated Edits On 12/27/22)

---

The first thing Sans noticed was the slight thumping. A dull thudding in the back of his mind that roused him from his silent slumber.

"Ugh...what the hell is that?" he said out loud, rubbing his eyes as he began to wake up.

"Grillbz? Fiyoku? Is that yo-"

Sans' words were cut off with a gasp as he finally became more aware of his surroundings...or lack thereof. There was inky blackness all around him that seemed to go on for miles. There was no light and no sound except for the dull thudding in his head.

And not one living being to be seen.

Sans glanced around cautiously.

"What the...hello? Anyone?"

Sans couldn't help but gulp slightly as he began walking, trying to find someone that could tell him where he was. But after a while, he began to wonder if there was such a person. And if there was...they weren't close by.

Or maybe they were and he just couldn't tell. It was hard to measure distance in this place.

As Sans continued his walk, the thudding grew louder and louder; causing him to wince slightly in pain. He tried to ignore it, but his efforts were in vain. It was as if the volume button in his head was turned up with every step he took. To the point where the sound was almost deafening.

"AUGH! STOP IT!" Sans shouted, clutching his head in his hands.

"I GET IT! SOMETHING'S HERE WITH ME! HOW ABOUT WE CUT IT WITH THE SUSPENSE AND GET TO THE DAMN POINT! MY HEAD IS KILLING ME!"

As if someone had heard him, the thumping miraculously stopped, allowing Sans a moment to sigh in relief.

"Thank you..."

His silent bliss did not last long as a spotlight suddenly shined behind him, the sound that came with it causing Sans to jump in surprise. When he turned to have a look, his eyes widened when he saw a monster soul floating gently in the light; the usual white exterior replaced with a bright blue.

"Is that...mine?" he questioned as he walked toward it, confusion clear on his face.

He hesitantly reached a hand toward it, the blue of the soul reflecting in his eyes. He instantly jumped back when the blue soul began to crack and black began dripping from its interior. Sans' eyes widened in terror as the black seeped into the blue, the excess soul dripping onto the floor; bubbling on contact.

Sans felt his stomach knot slightly as he brought a hand to his mouth in disgust. He felt like he was going to throw up. Some invisible force kept him from turning away as the originally bright blue soul bubbled and melted into itself as it slowly turned black.

"B-B-But...it doesn't make any sense..." he managed to breathe, eyes still wide in shock.

"Oh, but it does...and deep down you KNOW it does..." a voice answered.

Sans' heart dropped to the pit of his stomach as he turned around to see Chara standing behind him, eyes dripping with the same black as his soul.

"You were wondering who my host was? Well...you won't have to look far to find the answer to THAT comedian..." they said with a laugh.