Chapter 19

The large living space of Freya's home was beginning to feel suffocating. I asked if I could have some fresh air and was directed to the second story balcony that doubled as the shop's awning. I half expected Ms. Pierce or Mr. B to follow me out, but I guess they figured I wasn't going to jump off the ledge and try to escape on broken legs.

The balcony wasn't hard to find. I started up the large staircase and once I reached the top floor I was face to face with two hallways, one to the left and one straight ahead. The left side held only a railing, with a large opening looking out over the living space downstairs. Considering the front of the shop was toward the front of the building, I headed down the hall straight ahead of me. This place felt even bigger on the second floor, almost like a hotel, maybe in the past, it was. But it was easy for me to find the French double doors covered in windows that led to the balcony at the end of the hall.

Walking out, I took a deep breath filling my lungs with fresh air before approaching the wrought iron railing and leaning my arms on it. The street Frey's home rested on was pretty quiet. A couple small shops were across the street, with the corner store to one side of the building and the church ruins to the other. I wondered if Freya chose to live here or if this was somehow planned by the organization to keep a watchful eye on the ruin doors. I was willing to bet on the latter.

"Trying to get away?"

I nearly jumped out of my skin from the sound of the velvety deep voice behind me. Turning around, I found none other than Wes stepping out on the balcony and closing the french doors behind him.

"Damn it, Wes!" I shouted placing my hand over my heart. "I didn't hear you open the door. A little warning next time, please."

"I could say the same to you." He mumbled under his breath.

I turned around and leaned my back against the railing to face him.

"And what's that suppose to mean?"

His eyes narrowed on me. "The things you said to Toby and the rest of them at the park, a little warning would have been nice."

"I did what I had to do to keep you safe."

His response to my answer was a disgusted look as his lip pulled over his perfect white teeth in a vicious sneer.

"I don't need you to keep me safe! I could have broken those guys down piece by piece, but I didn't because I didn't want to expose us."

I closed my eyes and shook my head letting him know just how much I didn't believe him. When I opened my eyes he stood just inches from my face.

"We're stronger than them, Chloe. I could have easily taken them down and you could have too. All you had to do was try instead of bending to what they wanted."

I stood there looking at him wide-eyed and speechless. He was probably right, I could have taken big Betty down with my inhuman strength. But I was scared of doing that, I was scared of letting that beast inside of me out and hurting someone. Even if that someone was a monster themselves. So I played week, I let them get the upper hand, and I agreed to Toby's demands all while telling myself I had no other choice. But I had plenty of other choices, I chose the easy way out, and now I was afraid it was going to cost me Wes' affection.

"I'm sorry, your right," I answered lowering my head to look at my feet.

"You know the part that hurt the most?" He asked me.

I shook my head.

"When you screamed that I wasn't your boyfriend."

My head jerked up to look into his pained face. I never thought about my outburst, about the thing I yelled to get them to stop. The fact that it bothered him so much hurt more than the thought of them hurting him physically.