Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three- Baurindriel

My disliking for Catz grew with his favoring for my “dear friend” Eliana, who technically should have been gone. I would assume the tolerance given had something to do with her father, whether it be his strong position on the council or some sort of bribery. Vaughn didn’t seem like he would give into that, but you never know.

I pushed myself through another week and Michael announced that in a few days we would be having a test. “And,” he added, “the teams with the lowest five rankings after the test will be asked to leave the academy.”

My face drained and my eyes widened. “Since Mr. Kitty Boy arrived, we’ve dropped eight ranks! Ranks eleven through fifteen are the teams that’ll have to go. We’re ranking eleventh right now!”

“Did you seriously just call me Mr. Kitty Boy?” Catz asked.

“Yep! Hey, I’ll see you guys later when we train again. I need some time alone to think and such.” I pushed the door open and stepped into the halls.

“Baurindriel.” Catz said, having followed me out the door.

“Yes? What do you want?” I answered, quickening my pace. He had no problem keeping up, his long legs allowing him to take large strides.

“Calm down, she-elf.”

“Really? You too?” I glared at him, “Been listening to your friend Eliana, huh?”

“No. I’ve been listening to everyone. Apparently, I have no right to call you Bauri.”   

“Why would that be?”

“According to Scarlett, the guy who was your fighter before me had some... Relationship with you and called you Bauri.”

“WHAT KIND OF RELATIONSHIP WAS IMPLIED?” I screamed, smacking him in the arm, “Servius is not my boyfriend. Ever. I would die first.”

“Oh? It seems Scarlett had a different impression.”

Why would Scarlett tell something like that to Catz, when it wasn’t even necessarily true? Did the actions or words I directed towards Servius make people think otherwise?

I  chose words carefully,“Well, I may have hugged him once, but I was delusional...and like....no.”

Catz laughed, an amused look and smile dominating his whole face. “Mm. Sure...”

“Whatever.” I halted and turned to him, “You don't know me, okay?”

“No, but I can gather quite a bit.”

I rolled my eyes, “You’ve been misinformed. You mis-gathered. I don't like Servius. Not like that.”

“One day... You'll realize,” He said dramatically, looking into the distance.

“Nah.”

“Denial. You're lying to yourself.”

“What reasoning would I have for that?”

“His father hates elves; ergo, you're trying to protect him from his father's wrath.”

“N-no.” I answered, suddenly not so sure of myself.

“Stutter? What happened to Ms. Confident?”

I silently pondered the question. Where had my confidence, my self-assurance gone? At the beginning of the year, I had been determined, ready to prove my point. Now I just hoped to make it through the day, preferably without a snide remark from Eliana. Funny, how one person can change all that. The thing that bothered me most? Catz was right. I did like Servius