Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Forty-Two - Servius

        Arkrak and I rose very early, and rode out in silence after he cooked a quick breakfast and we ate.

        “So what exactly do you have against D’Rogis?” I asked.

        “I used to teach someone your age who was a half-elf. Amazing swordsman. Unfortunately, D’Rogis murdered his family when he found out someone who was part elf went to that school, and kicked him out. He has considerable influence over the headmaster,” He said.

        “What was his name?” I asked.

        “Schwann,” He told me. I nodded. I had heard stories of him, most of which involved D’Rogis swearing to kill him. He seemed to do that a lot. The gods would get angry if he didn’t keep all his murder vows. We continued riding on in silence, neither of us wanting to say anything. We sparred again that night when the sun began to set, and after he decided we were done, I went on working on my speed. When I started hearing his even breathing from his tent, I finally fell asleep, and we repeated the process the next day.

        “So how far?” I asked.

        “We should get there tomorrow,” Arkrak told me. I nodded. I didn’t know what to say after that, so we rode on in silence. I found myself thinking about how my friends might be doing. I figured that Baurindriel would hate whoever replaced me. Plus since I was a unique fighter with two swords, they might have to readapt in their fighting. The only who wouldn’t suffer is Scarlett, since mages have the same job no matter the fighting style of the fighter and tank. I would get back to them. I had to, no matter the price.

        Three days later. We rode into the camp, and were confronted with three men wielding spears. We dismounted and walked forward.

        “Who are you, what is your business here?” The one in the middle asked.

        “I am Arkrak Gaspar. This is Servius, step-son of D’Rogis,” Arkrak told them.

        “Ah, Gaspar. I see. Our Leader has heard of you. As for Servius, why can we trust him? He’s the son of that scum...” The guard said. Arkrak stepped in front of me.

        “He’s trustworthy. He was withdrawn from his school because he became friends with Baurindriel of Aendrieithel,” Arkrak told them. The guard’s eyes widened.

        “I didn’t know she was still alive. She could help us with our cause. She has more reason to hate D’Rogis than any of us,” The guard said.

        “Yes. But Servius has to get back to his school to resume training with his team,” Arkrak said. The guard raised an eyebrow.

        “You can ask about that. He’s in that tent,” The guard said, gesturing towards a large central tent. We walked to the tent and entered, and I was met with a man and an elf. The elf stood up straight and walked out as we entered. The man smiled at us.

        “Greetings Servius and Arkrak. I am Kyriakos, leader of this Elf Rights Revolution as we call it,” He told us. We both shook his hand.

        “First things first. Servius needs to get back to his school to resume his training. After that, I’m joining up to avenge my pupil, Schwann,” Arkrak told Kyriakos. He shook his head.

        “I’m sorry. I don’t trust to let anyone into this camp and out again, especially not the step-son of D’Rogis. No offense Servius,” He told me, smiling. I cursed. How long would I be here? When could I see my team again?