Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-five- Baurindriel

We stood around awkwardly in the gymnasium,  waiting for some sort of instruction.  I talked to the other team's archer, a lanky blonde boy named Keith, in order to get a grasp on his techniques and such. He used a long bow, which meant he could shoot farther but it took longer and more pull to shoot, whereas with my recurve bow, I had accurate shots that were fired off a lot faster.

"So your team is ranked number two?" I asked, handing him back his bow which I had been studying.

Hs nodded. "We knew each other beforehand,  so we were comfortable as a team. It took less adjustment."

I noticed that he was studying my features very thoroughly and eyeing me up and down. "What?" I asked, blushing and breaking eye contact.

"It's just odd to see an elf here. I've never really talked to one."

"Loosen up. I'm like a human, I just...look slightly different. That's really all there is. I don't know why you humans are so nervous or scared, when we're not even that different."

"I guess. Sorry."

I waved my hand dismissively. "It's fine, I've gotten used to it."

"That's rather brave of you." Keith commented. "You must have known how segregated people would be."

"Brave or stupid...It's just..." I smiled. "Nevermind. This isn't something I feel like talking about. I don't trust many people and I just met you." I turned away and walked towards my teammates.

"Is he acceptable?" Scarlett asked.

I shrugged,  hurting myself again. I really should have stopped, but I'd forget until it was too late. "He seems okay. I'm probably a better archer. Elves have keener eyes and hearing, so that's an advantage.

Servius smiled. "People are stupid to think you drag us down."

I smiled back. For some reason,  I kept thinking about how I'd fallen asleep on his shoulder. I always mentally punched myself. What if he hadn't been okay with it and it was weird?  Or what if he got the wrong idea? What if, without even realizing it I liked him? I shook my head at myself and mentally punched myself once more. I shouldn't even think about things like that. It wasn't even a possibility. I wouldn't  let it happen.

"Hey. Stop looking so concerned." Maybe he didn't think much of it, but it just kept recurring to me.

"Huh? Oh. Sorry."

Michael and the other groups leader, Shem, rushed to the front of the room.

"I appologize for our absence, one of the instructors was giving us complications." Michael explained. "Today we probably won't do anything too complex. To start, you'll have to get used there being someone else who has your ability, which means you'll have to learn to really  share the glory."

Shem nodded. "That means you have to trust that the other is competent and not worry about covering everything. I'm sure that's something you can all manage."

I nodded and after giving myself one last reminder to be careful with my shoulder,  we started training. 

Kinda really a filler.  Sorry.