Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen - Servius

One thing Michael had taught us about gigaworms: They are weak. Very. Their entire head area is a weakness when they are moving or attacking, but the rest of their body is fully armored. Izuk rushed forward to meet them, deflecting their attacks off of his shield. I charged in and beheaded one quickly, wincing as the swing sent a jolt of pain through my arm. Baurindriel didn't notice, thankfully, as she shot two arrows into another one's head, killing it as they punctured deeply. Scarlett seemed to be freaking out and unable to do anything, which was odd, so Izuk had to take the last gigaworm out. I had no clue what our time was, but it was fine, because I could care less. I stood there for a moment, until the professor who woke us up came out.

"Servius D'Rogis, you will go first," He said. I winced as he said my last name, but ignored it. I stepped onto the field where individual tests occured, and soon enough, two men wielding spears approached me. The spears had longer reach than my swords and since there were two of them, using one sword to block a spear and then get in close wasn't an option. I stood there for a moment thinking, before they came at me. I decided to play the game of dodge until I knew how good they were with the spears. One held both his hands at the same spot, towards the head, giving him shorter reach, so he would be easy to dispatch. The other's fault was that he took too long to take the spear back in after lunging. Sure enough, the second came at me, and instead of dodging his lunge back, I dodged to the side, stepped in, and brought my hilt to his temple. His eyes glazed over and he fell to the ground. The other one picked up his comrade's spear, making it interesting for me, especially considering he then shorted them by snapping them. This made them more like stabbing swords, and far more interesting for me. I started dodging his attacks, trying to get close enough to cut the heads off, but it didn't work. I thankfully had remained unwounded so far, but didn't know how long that'd last. Thankfully, I realized this guy was extremely right-handed. Not ideal for dual-wielding. I myself was ambidextrous, so I had no problem. I started moving to his left and he may or may not have cursed. It was hard to tell when I was breathing heavily due to worry about failing. Quickly, I stepped forward on his left, and he couldn't bring his right arm around in time. He tried to block with his left stabbing weapon, but my sword sheared through the shaft, and my second hit his head.

"You're done!" I shouted at him. He smiled and nodded, and then fell down, unconscious.