Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four- Servius

I had left my lockpicks behind, foolishly, so I had to figure out where the key was. D’Rogis rarely brought his key chain with him, so it was probably in his chamber, but my mother was most likely in there. I sat there pondering for a bit, then remembered I kept a stash of lockpicks here. I quickly crept back upstairs, and upstairs to my bedroom. Knocking on the wood quietly, I found the part where there was a small storage container underneath, and removed the plank. Beneath were some of my lockpicks. I quickly grabbed them and went back to the basement, picking the lock on the safe. Inside were three swords. One looked rather poor, one looked like a typical soldier sword, and one looked very unique, unlike anything I’d ever seen. I picked it up, and slung it, in its sheath, over my shoulder. I quickly crept back up out of the house, finding my horse where I hid it. However, nothing can ever go as planned, as I heard a loud yell behind me. Turning around I saw two guards running towards me. Hoping they hadn’t recognized me, I started galloping quickly, but they pursued me. I had no choice. Letting go of my horse’s reins, I grabbed a vine in the forest and swung up into a tree. My horse kept riding.

    “What the?!” A guard yelled as I jumped down, kicking him off his horse. I pulled out my sword and cut the guard’s strap, but my sword got caught and fell. Cursing, I continued riding, catching up to my horse, and swapping. I continued riding, taking a long route in case the guards had sent interceptors ahead. By the time the school came into sight, I was sore and exhausted. By the time I reached the main gate, I hadn’t slept since leaving, and hadn’t eaten since leaving. The last thing I saw was the ground rushing up to meet me.