Chapter One | Admiration

Once upon a time, a beautiful girl was showered with affection

Once upon a time, a beautiful girl was showered with affection. The boys loved everything about her, whilst the girls wished to be her. This caused an unsaid law to be formed. The beautiful girl went through school, admired from afar but never too close.

She soon set a routine, stuck alone on a pedestal, where she had been put by everyone. The school halls was one place she always felt it. When she glided between classes, without any company and never got any trouble. She would glance at groups of people who would be littered around, gossiping about her.

The thing about loneliness, is that she soon forgot how to socialise. With the coldness that surrounded her, she became frosty. From a glance in her icy blue eyes, to a retort from her sharp tongue. People knew not to cross her but most importantly to stay away. She strives all alone, by herself upon her throne, not caring about the frozen heart she possessed.

Everyday there would be a new gift waiting for her when she arrived at her locker. They would sometimes range from simple love notes, to extravagant gifts, such a concert tickets. The girl would simply ignore them, after having a quick glimpse. She knew by the time she returned to her locker again, that these would disappear. They always did.

She didn't question any of it, never taking anything that was gifted to her. She expected them to stop but the gifts never did. As always, she wasn't left with her own choice but rather the choice given to her by the other students. The never-ending list of silent laws.

She didn't bother questioning the order of things, as long as she was at the top, only knowing this way of life and no other. She was comfortable to the ways that had become her norm. Popularity was one of the few things she had, without it, she was no one. That was the thing about being a person without ties, if it wasn't for the people around you then you were just a nobody.

So she learnt how to bid by the rules and keep herself afloat, a very selfish agenda, but it's not like she had learnt to share with no one around her. A only child, given everything she wished for, never being told no, she was most definitely spoiled. She knew she had power and used it when she wanted too.  The price she paid was worth it all, she often reminded herself.

She wasn't often approached by others, but today, whilst reading a book in class, she was interrupted. A new girl, younger than her, entered her classroom. Her presence was obvious from the second she entered, but she ignored her.

"I just want to know one thing and then I'll leave," said this new girl. She was an Egyptian beauty, but still held a bit of her baby face that showed her youth, but she would be a force to reckon with, once she was older.

The cold girl, ignored her, waiting for to leave, they always did. A little bit of silence intimidated people quite easily and she had used such a tactic many times before, except this time, it didn't work. This new girl sat down on the chair in front of her and waited.

"You know, with the nickname of the Ice Queen, I did expect a frosty audience with you, so I'm just going to wait until you warm up to this really short conversation I want to have," the new girl pushed. Was this bravery or just stupidity?

The girl closed her book and tucked a blonde streak of hair behind her ear. The stubbornness in this girl was obvious and so this needed to get done sooner than later. People were going to start coming to class.

"Speak," she commanded, allowing herself to be drawn into a short, conversation.

"Well, I just wanted to know... How does this Ice Queen maintain her position?"

She didn't react to the name that had been thrust upon her by the gossipers of the school. She had heard whispers of her reputation behind her back but never bothered to correct anyone. A little cold shoulder was all it took to reinforce her reputation. It kept them a bay, just like she needed.

"You've got to be cruel to be kind," she decided to answer the question and cut this whole meeting short. There was no harm in a little advice and it's not like she could replace her. She had done everything that was needed and this girl was too young to understand.

The girl laughed, whilst shaking her head. There was no trace of mockery but rather amusement. A few inky black strands escaped her high ponytail as she did so. It ruined her perfect image, there was definitely no way she could replace her.

"I should've expected that. Well, I have class to get to now," she said, once she received no response. She stood up and left as gracefully as she had arrived but stopped in the doorway to say something more.

"I would tell you my name but by the time you come looking for me, I'll be long gone." She smiled her secretive smile and left. It not like she was curious enough to ask for a name and she doubted she would go looking for her.

That disruption was only the spark needed to change things in her life as later that year she found out. Her castle walls and her high pedestal was about to come crumble down.

~*~

What's her name?