Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

"It's her back that's injured," he said tightly, bending at the waist to gently lay her down on her stomach. She cried out before sinking her teeth into the flesh of her bottom lip, her fists clenched tightly at the sides of her head. I sank down to my knees, ignoring the bite from the hard surface, and lightly brushed her hair from her forehead. 

"It'll be okay, pretty girl. Can you tell me what caused this?" Her shirt was torn in several places, so I began ripping away the remaining fabric. I grimaced at the site of five long gashes on her back. 

Taking shallow breaths, she shut her eyes and rest her cheek on the cold ground. I could imagine it felt great on her hot skin. "Snow leopard."

Looking over at the dead animal, I shook my head in disbelief. "You got incredibly lucky if you let it get that close to you." 

"I know." Her voice wavered as she gave a sharp smile that didn't reach her tired eyes. "That little cat stood no chance against me." 

I guffawed as Nathan made a choking sound. Kota paused his debriefing with Owen and sent Sang an incredulous look. I knew she was just trying to take her mind off of the pain so I quickly got to work. I wiped away most of the blood, but it didn't stop flowing from the gashes in her back.

As soon as I touched the tender wound, Sang hissed and flinched away. Gideon's chest rumbled. Flicking her eyes to her bondmate, she visibly sent soothing thoughts to him, making him calm down a fraction. 

"I'm sorry, but this is going to hurt." Dabbing at the wound, I tried to be as gentle as possible. All I had to close the wound was the supplies in my bag. It didn't contain any medicines to make her feel better, which made me wants to kick myself for forgetting them. 

It took about an hour to get the wound stitched up and bandaged. Once I was done, I sat back on my heels and took a deep breath. I would choose to treat patients I didn't know any day, rather than someone I'd come to care about. 

"All done, pretty girl. Nathan, I want you to carry her out of the pass so she can ride with you." 

"My back is injured, Doctor Green. Not my legs. I can walk just fine," Sang groused. 

Nathan laughed and bent down to pick her up. "Sure you can, Peanut."

I watched them walk away and smiled, then turned to Owen and Kota once they were no longer visible. "Are you guys ready to cart that gigantic thing back to camp?"  

•••
Sang

When nighttime arrived, we sat as a group around the fire and shared a nice meal. Janice did the cooking while the Blackbourne team reminisced about their adventures together. Jay sat quietly beside me, his face distant and glum. I nudged him with my elbow and tried to give him a cheerful grin, but due to the pain in my back, it came out a bit strained. 

"Are you okay?" I whispered so only he could hear. 

"I'm fine," he replied with a smile that didn't completely reach his eyes. Stretching out his legs, he leaned back on his hands and tilted his head up to look at the stars. "Sometimes I just wish things didn't turn out the way they did with my brothers."

I tilted my own head toward the sky and took a deep breath of fresh mountain air. "Can you tell me what happened?" 

 "They're working with Monroe," he explained with a strained tone of voice. Gabriel casted a look at him and Jay glared back. Scoffing, Gabriel turned his attention back to his team, but not before sending me a wink. 

"I knew you guys weren't a team anymore, I just didn't know why. I'm sorry." I frowned. I couldn't imagine how it felt to be betrayed like that by someone you loved.

He shrugged. "I thought I'd accepted it by now, but then I look at the Blackbourne team and wish I still had a relationship like that with my own brothers."

"Are you going to join their team?" It wouldn't be a terrible thing if he did. They were already such a diverse group. There was Luke's playfulness, Kota's intelligence, and Victor's regal allure. What could adding one more person do? 

"Maybe." He shrugged while his eyes scanned the group around the crackling fire. "It's too early to tell what I'm going to do. I think I have other plans right now." His eyes met my own, and I found myself trembling from the intensity in his stare. When my cheeks reddened, Jay chuckled and resumed looking at the stars. 

"What about you?" He asked. "Do you you have any plans for when we get to the Academy?" 

It was my turn to shrug. "Train my hardest and make allies. I'll need all the help I can get if I'm going to survive this year." 

"You have us, y'know. I know we haven't known you long, but I bet you every single person here would do anything for you. Especially after what you did for Kota and Nathan today." 

"That was nothing," I replied, grimacing.  

"Whatever you say." I so wished I could wipe that smirk off his face. 

"Oy! Why don't you losers join the discussion?" Gabriel's question drew everybody's attention to us. North's eyes were alight as he stared at me from across the fire. I gave him a finger wave, which he returned. 

"What are you guys talking about?" I asked, giving them my attention. 

"Classes and training. It might be a good idea for you to listen in." Owen gave me a reprimanding look. "You need to be prepared for when we return tomorrow, not chatting." 

I wanted to snap at him for talking to me like he owned me, but I merely nodded, keeping my temper leashed. His attitude since leaving Zalfari continued to piss me off. I could comprehend that he still wasn't happy with what I did at the village, but acting the way he was made me feel worse, not better. 

"Well if what you have to say is so important, please continue," I said slowly, waving him on. Jay grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze before releasing it. I attempted to give him a genuine smile that came out empty. Henry, who was sitting in between Janice and Victor, looked cross. I subtly shook my head, letting him know that I was okay. 

Clearing his throat behind a fist and mouth in a tight line, Owen continued, "I think it would be best if we put you classes with all of the boys so we can keep an eye out for you." I scoffed. 

"I don't need to be watched," I immediately said. 

"I don't think you fully grasp how it's going to be once we arrive. Once Monroe meets you, he's going to send riders to recruit you. Even the wolves and the witches might be an issue." 

It slipped my mind that whatever was going on with Drorum and the council involved each race. The wolves, the witches, the fae. I doubted the elves had anything to do with it because they were known to be peaceful creatures. Drorum wouldn't waste their time trying to win them over. 

"Fine," I said, staring intently into his eyes, showing him how unhappy I was with him. He stared back until his eyes darted to the side. "Arrange my classes how you want them, but Owen? Stop coddling me, I'll be damned if I let someone have control over my life again." 

I struggled to my feet and winced as my stitches pulled. Victor scrambled up to help and righted me once I started to stumble. 

"Thank you," I whispered to the boy with fire in his eyes. I gave Owen one last glare before stomping in Gideon's direction. He raised his head and blinked his bleary eyes open. 

"Little One," he rumbled. Adjusting his position on the stone ground, he lifted a wing for me to snuggle in. Once I was situated, he lowered his wing until it partly covered me. 

"Goodnight, Gideon.

"Little One.