Chapter Thirteen

Sang

Sang

My legs were swept out from underneath me and I ungraciously landed into a heap on the hard ground. Wil straddled me and pointed the edge of his dagger at the base of my throat, the cold metal biting uncomfortably at my skin as I gulped down some much needed air into my lungs. 

My friend threw me a disapproving look before standing up with a huff. "What is up with you today? You're distracted and hardly even trying."

Derek moved to stand next to him, arms crossed and thoughtful looking. Sitting up, I pushed the stray hairs out of my face and let out a quiet groan. He was right. My muscles were aching and parts of my flesh were still stinging where I suspected fresh bruises were beginning to form. I must have looked a mess. "I'm fine, I just have a lot going on right now."

Between finding out about my mother not being my actual mother and having nine riders invading life, I was an emotional wreck. It had been two days since the last time I seen them yet I could constantly feel them watching.

Wil and Derek both plopped down on the grass and gave me their full attention. I gave them a reluctant smile because I knew they would stare at me like that until I spilled whatever it was on my mind. 

"You know you can tell us anything, right?" Wil asked as his shaggy blonde hair fell over his eyebrows. Some would think that he needed a hair cut, but in my eyes, the messiness fit him perfectly. He looked ruggedly handsome. 

"I know." I sighed and laid back, exposing my face to the scorching hot sun. I always knew that I could trust them. Us three practically grew up together. When we were younger, I thought we were the only kids who had their heads screwed on straight because we never really got along well with the other children. Most of our elders thought Wil and I would marry once we became adults—many still do—but little did they know that our relationship was nowhere near romantic. Him and Derek were both the brothers I never had. 

"Then tell us. Whatever it is, I'm sure we can figure it out," Derek pressed, his ocean blue eyes narrowing slightly. "Is it about Marie? What did that harlot do this time?" 

"It's not about her. I left home and moved in with Henry and Janice." 

"About damn time. But why now? They've been offering you a place to stay for years," Wil asked.

I blew out a breath and gazed at the clouds. A suffocating amount of longing weighed heavily on my chest. "Apparently I'm not her actual daughter. She says that I'm a bastard born from one of my father's previous whores." My cheeks heated in shame. 

If my real mother was a courtesan, I would have loved her no matter the circumstances, but it was very distasteful to be birthed by one, and while I was sure that the two boys lounging beside me wouldn't judge me for it, that didn't mean others wouldn't. 

"Wow. I guess that explains her hatred for you," Derek said it like he was stating a fact and I was eternally grateful for the lack of pity in his tone.