Her Insanity

I was the voices inside of their heads,

And each time I managed to get it wrong

I tried to save them and myself so many times

But we always just disappear.

**

English girl gone missing from asylum.

**

"Alfred, are you really going to visit her? You... know what she's like now, right?"

A voice, usually shouting or annoyed, now, for once, concerned.

Arthur Kirkland, English. Missing.

"Last time I went... s-she wouldn't stop talking about how I disappeared..."

A voice, a whisper as always. Unlike always, however, this time it went noticed.

Matthew Williams, Canadian. Missing.

"The same for me! She kept talking about how she was sorry she didn't find me soon enough!"

A voice, cute and maybe a bit too enthusiastic as usual.

Feliciano Vargas, Italian. Missing.

"She seemed very scared when I went. She never stopped mumbling about how she didn't want me to kill her."

A voice, though unlike the others, this one kept it's usual high volume.

Gilbert Beilschmidt, German/Prussian. Missing.

Alfred sighed, sitting up in the old armchair to put his empty cup of coffee down on the table in front of him.

"She's only human, you lot. What she went through.. Is enough to break anyone."

Alfred Jones. American.

Missing.

The American blonde stood, the others in the room just staring at him as if he was as insane as her.

In an instant, he was slipping his coat on over his shoulders.

"If anyone would like to stop being so heartless and come with me, you're very welcome to."

With that, he was gone, leaving the room with only four shocked countries.

**

Tears built up in her eyes, head buried in her pillow.

Another one.

Gone.

This time, it was Alfred. Alfred who was going insane, trying to do the things she did, and save them all.

How many more times was it until it became reality?

The chalked tally chart on the wall beside her bed didn't help at all. Long ago, it had become scribbles of tally over tally that was now impossible to even comprehend.

"...Dudette?"

Immediately, her head raised, and she turned her tear stained face to the door. Through the now open slit near the top of the door, she saw familiar blue eyes set behind a pair of glasses, to make it just a little more obvious who it was behind the door.

"Alfred," she barely whispered, a small smile breaking out on her face. "So it wasn't the last time."

On the other side of the door, he smiled. She would have been able to see it, if it wasn't for how small of a gap opening the slit made.

"Was it me this time?"

She nodded.

"I was trying to find you... It turns out you were trying to save everyone too."

He chuckled.

"Was I any good?"

A small, sad smile made it's way onto her face.

"I can't say for sure, you shot me right in the heart before I had chance to ask."

**

For a long time, they talked. They could have talked for even longer, if visiting hours weren't a rule applying to them.

Though when they exchanged farewells, neither knew it would be their last time together, before everything changed.

Before she fell asleep to see... to see that there were no more chances she had left to save them.

Because her dreams, usually littered with scenes from times she would have to save them yet to come, only consisted of herself, standing, sitting, crying and calling out into darkness.

'You failed to protect them.'

'Now they'll change. They'll change for the worse.'

'And you can't do anything about it.'

With a gasp, she woke up. She woke up to wet tears already beginning to stain her face.

She woke up to shining blue eyes peering down at her, glowing inhumanly like Matthew's had done in her last attempt to save him.

"What's wrong, dollface? Did something not go as you wanted it to?"

END