one

The middle of the woods probably was not the best place to be alone, especially at night. 

The shadows of the trees banded together majestically, creating intricate patterns on fresh wet, leaves that littered the floor as moonlight peeked through the cracks. I felt a gentle breeze rush between them and shuddered slightly. Okay, maybe it wasn't the best idea to go on a run tonight. 

Jumping as a clump of leaves was launched by the wind, I shook my head. I had promised myself that I wouldn't be out for longer than five minutes; it had been half an hour. All I'd wanted to do was shift and test the waters. It had only been a week or so ago that I'd shifted - apparently being fourteen meant I was exceptionally gifted as no-one shifted for the first time until after they were sixteen. Yet, on a considerably boring night that I'd dedicated to finally do some work for school, my bones began to break by themselves and my eyes switched back and forth from their usual green to a piercing amber. The pain was horrendous, nothing like I'd ever experienced. 

The wind picked up slightly, forcing the temperature to descend further and my dark, thick fur to stand on end. I walked forward cautiously as I tried to get used to the odd sensation of walking on four legs. The mud, though covered in a blanket of leaves, felt soft under my paws. I sighed as I began to jog to get my hot blood pumping faster, grievously regretting the decision to leave the house this late at night in winter. 

Taking one last glance in the direction of my house, I decided it was worth being told off if I was caught and I began to run towards the border of the pack territory. I felt content as I bounded immaturely - and almost drunkenly - forward. The wind rushed beside me, encouraging me to run faster, to run with the wind itself. My inner wolf, though presently silent inside my soul was almost purring in appreciation as I let myself relax and aimlessly sprint around. 

It had felt like only a few minutes had passed when I slowed to a jog, my breaths coming out in rapid pants. There was an invitingly sweet scent in the air, drifting from the distance, lulling me to follow. My wolf - Esiro - mentally paced around, anxious, as an unnatural wave of energy rolled over me. I stiffened, coming to a complete stop. Looking around, I realised I had no idea where I was, but that scent. I wanted so desperately to find it and wondered if I unconsciously came here for it. My legs felt weak and my heart was beating sporadically - partly from the running, but mostly from the fear that crept into every cell of my being. You shouldn't be here, turn around, quickly! Run home! Never return!

I paused, confused at Esiro as she rushed to speak. But that scent... I can't leave it. I stood there, deeply conflicted. My body was almost throwing itself forward but my wolf and mind were pushing away. I shook my head violently and narrowed my eyes. I can come back later for it, I assured myself as I turned back. 

I pushed my aching legs forward, thinking to just zone out and think of home when something flickered in the corner of my eye. Almost falling I jerked down, lowering myself into a frankly pathetic defensive stance. It's not like I can exactly fight off more than a bunny. Even so, I scanned the surrounding area for any sign of movement. 

It's probably nothing. I recited to myself, the unease dwindling away as I willed my breathing to slow. But then, something moved again. 

One shadowed figure appeared in front of me, tackling me to the floor violently and holding me by the scruff of my neck. The wolf, dirty brown in colour, held its teeth rigidly, caging me in and forcing a whimper to escape my throat as he tightened the hold. The area around me came alive with the frenzied movement of large, growling wolves. 

A single shifted man confidently strode towards me and signalled to the wolf who backed off. He was tall and exceptionally large. His chest, though free of clothing, almost appeared covered by the myriad of scars that adorned it. His eyes, almost black in colour, were trained on me and he laughed as I shakily tried to rise up.