three

I looked through the crowd, scanning every blank face as the air thickened. The ballroom - once glittering and buzzing with little ease - was filled only with the hushed whispers of the judgemental nobles and the crisp hums of violins. 

"Who is that? A Royal?"

"She does look rather regal..."

"Is she even a vampire?"

More and more voices broke through the intense atmosphere as heads turned our way in surprise. I gripped the cool metal bannister tightly, trying to push down the nerves that lingered in my throat. Parris remained at my side, an unmoving figure that blended into the room of stationary bodies until he confidently came forward and took a low, respectful bow. 

"Honestly Parris," I murmured. "That was unnecessary." He pulled my hand, gently guiding me forward to the left-hand set of curved steps. We descended steadily and strode towards the crowd that parted as we came their way, some with a respectful silence and others turned from us in disgust and continued to murmur as they assumed all of this was just a joke. If only this was a hoax. 

My father, in a similar suit to Parris, held his head high as we approached him at the thrones that sat at the back of the ballroom. There used to only be two, one for him and one for Parris, yet now another was placed to the left. One for me. The one in the centre was slightly taller than the ones either side. Black in colour, the seats themselves were adorned with expensive red velvet and gold furnishings. There were a number of steps that held them higher than the crowd that gathered and two guards stood proudly one step up to prevent anyone from passing or making an attempt at our lives. It would be stupid of them, to say the least. I could get to them faster than any guard and end it. 

He swept down the stairs as he clicked his fingers, lighting the unlit candles that circled on the walls of the room. Gone was the soft plucking and playing of violins. Instead, they let out many deep notes and a crescendo built, horns and drums joining in. A lavish crown rested atop of his head and held back strands of stray dark hair, made of a golden metal that held a myriad of gems in silver settings. We met halfway, at the centre of the room, encased by the many disapproving subjects. 

A grand clock hidden deep within the rooms of the palace struck midnight and twelve pulsating booms echoed around the room, halting the harsh melodies of the musicians. 

Taking my hand, my father dipped lowly into a curt bow, shocking me to my core and leaving me speechless.  My father - a King by birthright no less who bowed to no mortal or immortal being - bowing to me like it was a simple gesture. My eyes bulged slightly and darkened as I flitted to pull him back up. He laughed at me gingerly and I looked around the room, surprised further to see the whole room bowing towards me also. 

"It is truly marvellous to see what a King's trust and respect does for these people," he whispered in my ear as he affectionately kissed my cheek and squeezed my hand. He veered around, placing himself in between myself and Parris to face the rest of the court. "I'd like to welcome my daughter to the court, Princess Emerson De'Morre.' Each noble broke into applause, though some were clearly displeased. 

The crowd soon after dissipated into smaller groups, all occupied with gossiping about their new royal and I watched them, intrigued from the throne that was now mine. No one had yet begun to dance, yet I could see many were itching to do so. They would have to wait until the royals - namely my father, Parris and I - had danced first. 

Father was making his way around the room before he and another man approached. My gaze locked onto his and a flicker of doubt rose onto my face before I returned to my usual emotionless look. If they don't see anything, they can't use it against you. 

"We will be dancing now," my father chimed lowly. "I've even found you a partner." He chuckled slightly, pulling his lips back into a slight grin, before walking away and linking his arm around another noble lady's, pulling her onto the dance floor. 

"Allow me to introduce myself, your highness. I am the righteous Lord Ambrose, Earl of Saint Alba." His voice was smooth and soft. His eyes were an innocent blue and a smile hung beautifully on his face. He wore a fitted tight suit with a navy blue tie and his chestnut brown hair was loose. Bowing lowly, I scanned over him and looked inquisitively into his mind, finding a dark box hidden in the corner which shook violently. I held onto my confusion - his appearance and mannerisms completely contradicting his foul nature, masking it almost, but then again he was, like the rest of us, vampires. We were designed to lure in unsuspecting prey. 

I rose stiffly and nodded. "Princess Emerson De'Morre." My voice was curt and short, not wishing to become in the slightest way involved with such a hidden figure. 

"Would you like to dance?" He took a step closer and gave a fuller smile, his pointed fangs showing. 

"Of course." I returned a smile and he took my hand, leading me to the centre of the room where we began, along with my father, Parris and their partners, a particularly slow and ornamental dance. Gliding around the polished dance floor, many looked towards us adoringly. Though many here had their elegance from many thousands of years of practice, I had acquired mine through becoming a hybrid. I had not had centuries to perfect my grace, only a few years that had seemed to trickle by excruciatingly slowly. 

I looked away from the other two couples dancing and towards my partner, the righteous Lord Ambrose. His gaze was solely focused as if analysing he was me. I turned elegantly, holding my head level and watched as the other women did the same, Ambrose lifting his arm for me to go under. When I returned to the hold, I felt his cold hand tighten on my waist. I shifted my gaze to him and then to his neck, noticing a chained necklace with what appeared to be a vial of blood hanging from it. An unusual piece. 

"I can tell you have many questions, Lord Ambrose. Please, ask away." He seemed shocked at my insight. He obviously doesn't know I could read him or his mind. Throughout the dance, all I heard in his head were questions and the rattling. They piled on top of each other as he tried to decide which were the most important to ask. He hesitated, until finally talking as he came to a decision. 

"Are you truly a vampire?" His question disturbed me. He gave no regard to my title, likely because he thought I was below him if it did indeed come to light that I was human. A blatant sign of disrespect, especially to royalty. 

"Yes." I flashed my fangs and black eyes, making him jump slightly. Hilarious. A vampire as old a dust, scared by the unknown. He examined me and his face dropped noticeably as he looked to my eyes and mouth. Gone were the usual bright amber orbs and in the stead, dark, murky ebony pools. My fangs were much larger than his, or any other of the vampires' here. That was the point - I am the predator. It appeared to unnerve him which flared my anger. 

I paused, halting his dancing. My eyes were still black and I felt my vampiric temper linger at the forefront of my mind. 

"You'll have to excuse me, Lord Ambrose." I broke away from him, my voice much darker than usual due to my fangs and anger. He rose an eyebrow, adding to my state of vexation before bowing. 

"Goodbye Princess," he said as I flitted away, leaving him and the dance hall behind. 

-----

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Sooooo - not sure how I feel about this chapter. There's another chapter to go on the ball which should hopefully spark off the story properly and the main part of it. I hope you liked the new character Ambrose and how Emerson appears to be the only one that sees through his mask. 

Let me know, as always, what you think in the comments. 

Lucie :)