Matthew Patrick Private Detective For Hire (Pt. one)

Okay, I have this recurring dream, of where Matthew is a private detective and the police come asking about a certain girl... So here y'all go! (P.S I'm a currently taking requests) Also, this is really really really long... so it is separated into two parts. Sorry

Matthew Patrick's office was a mess. Dozens of metal cabinets covered the room all of them filled to the brim with papers and files. The small room was dimly lit by a single lamp in the corner. A bed occupied a small room next to a minuscule bathroom. Outside the sky was bright in the afternoon sun. A sign hung over the door reading: Matthew Patrick Private Detective For Hire. The owner of this establishment was asleep at his desk, drooling on a case file. A sharp knock came from the door and Matthew woke with a start. Noticing that he had fallen asleep at his desk he sighed. Putting his glasses on, Matthew walked to the door glancing out of the window to see... the police. He made a quick calculation trying to remember if he'd done anything remotely illegal recently. Deciding that it was probably safe he cracked the door open. A short policeman and another taller one were craning their necks to get a look thru the door.

"Good morning gentleman, and what do I owe this pleasure?" Matthew said in what he hoped was a confident air. 

"I'm afraid we have." The man looked behind him at another policeman then continued. "A case for you." Taken slightly aback Matthew tilted his head in surprise.

"Me? I thought the police didn't associate with people like me? Isn't that what you said last month?" The two men looked at their feet. "So you have a case that's just a little too hard for you to solve so  you want me to solve it?" 

"I'm afraid so." Stepping aside Matthew let the men enter his domain. After they took their respective seats, the two policemen retrieved a case file. Taking a look at it Matthew's eyes grew to the size of dinner plates. "Know her?" Matthew nodded then continued looking at the three pages of typed information and the one picture. 

"Of course... I do." Taking a deep breathe Matthew closed the case file. 

"I heard a rumor that you two had been going steady." Matthew shook his head at the shorter policeman. 

"Not anymore." The two policeman feeling a little embarrassed looked away from the slightly peeved Matthew. 

"Oh well Um, do you think you can help us?" Matthew nodded. "I guess we'll uh leave you to do it then." The two men sat up quickly and hightailed it to the door. Closing the door behind them Matthew stood by the door listening to their conversation. 

"Sean what was that!" The shorter one exclaimed. The other one scratched the back of his head apologetically. 

"Sorry, Mark. We should go, the chief is gonna be mad." The shorter one-Mark nodded and they started down the cobblestone street. Sighing Matthew made his way back to his desk taking another look at the case file. There she was, her eyes were just as pretty in real life as they were in the picture. According to it, Stephanie had gone missing two days ago from her apartment. There was little evidence, but the crime boss Chris was suspected. Feeling a little overwhelmed he set it down. Glancing around, he looked for his cat. 

"Skip." He called looking around his tiny office. "Stupid cat." He muttered reaching for the cat food. As soon as his fingers curled around the bag his white, gray spotted cat sauntered into the room directing himself to his bowl of food.  Rolling his eyes Matthew grabbed his trenchcoat and went out grimacing at the bracing wind. 

The street was crowded, but he paid no heed though as he followed the street through the city, passing by all manner of buildings from shanty towns to the mayor's mansion. His feet carried him in a distinct direction-towards peppermint avenue. The roads were nicer here. Newer. He made his way to her apartment building. He stepped into the main hall and made his way to the main stairs. He walked to the fourth floor in complete silence. Upon reaching room number 346 he stopped, took a deep breath he pulled out his extra key. Unlocking the door he stepped inside. 

The apartment was almost as neat as he remembered but something was off. Had that picture always been there? Or couch been positioned like that? It didn't make sense. Maybe It had been that long. Shaking his head to clear his thoughts he began his search. To his dismay, he couldn't find anything in particular. There was almost nothing, nothing at all to suggest anything had happened. It did feel a little uncomfortable patting down her entire apartment. After searching the entire apartment he went back to the living room. But that's when he found it. A slip of paper that had been stuck inside a hole in the bottom of a chair. Matthew retrieved it, he was confused why anybody would hide it there. The slip had been ripped out something, the words were written in Steph's neat handwriting. As he read the few words, he then realized it was an address. 8990 76th street. Was this important? And why was it stuffed under her chair? Pocketing the slip he continued his search. Finding nothing else in the extremely neat apartment but deiced he would return for closer investigation after discovering what the address was. He closed and locked the door behind him then he walked down the hall. He was almost to the stairs he heard something. It sounded like footsteps. Matthew stopped in his tracks reaching for the gun in his left pocket. However, before he could grab it someone knocked him to the ground. Matthew slightly winded was getting up when a too familiar noise behind him caused him to go rigid. It was a gun being loaded.

"S-stay right there or, or else I'll shoot!" He stood as still as he could, edging his hand closer to his own gun. The voice sounded gruff, like someone with an awful cold. "I mean it! This time they sounded more confident. In one swift motion Matthew grabbed his gun, he swung around aiming at the person behind him. Before he could pull the trigger, the person hit him on the back of the head with his gun. In less then ten seconds Matthew was on the ground out cold. 

I am SO SO sorry for leaving you guys on a cliffhanger like this but this story was turning out WAY WAY too long so expect part two this week along with part three from he likes me too. Hope you guys liked this it took me forever to write this. Also, I'm taking requests, so please if you guys have any ideas let me know! 

~Esther outtie