Ch. 11 "The event"

"Is he okay mommy?" Luca asked never experiencing this anger before as a worried look flashed in his eye.

"Don't worry baby. Why don't you put on your show?" Gemma brushed threw his hair and he nodded pulling the remote off the coffee table. She wanted to distract Luca while she went to check on Nico. She got to the room and headed a crash, it was not loud but it startled her. She tapped on the door lightly, Nico didn't open it so she turned the handle and walked in. Closing it behind her she saw the lamp from the bedside table shattered on the floor. Nico turned to look at her, she smiled weakly and walked to the foot of the bed sitting on the edge. Nico no longer held anger as he studied Gemma.

"Why are you so mad?" She asked straight forward, she then thought she could have rephrased that different but shrugged.

"I'm so mad because Renzo did exactly the opposite of what he always said! He's also having me stay here instead of trying to keep you safe and protect you because they can't yet!"

"What do you mean they can't yet?" Nico didn't say anything to her. "You mean they just can't protect me because I'm not married in? Right?"

Nico shook his head. She was right, but she was also wrong. "Yes. I can only try to protect you because your not married."

"Thank you for doing that." Gemma walked to him wrapped her arms around his torso. He hugged her back running his hand through her hair. She left a kiss on his cheek and walked out of the room.

* * * *

Gemma finished getting ready by slipping into the short nude dress with jeweled lace sleeves and grabbing the matching heels. She pulled the thigh holster up and Checked the safety on the gun that Nico gave her. She walked down stairs and saw Nico and Luca sitting on the couch together. Nico stood and walked to the smiling Gemma.

"I can see it." He whispered in her ear as his hands grazed up the inside of her thigh. Nico slid the gun higher up and Gemma's breath hitched. His hand was inches alway from her panties in the extremely short dress, he brushed against them lightly making her flinch as his hands retreated. She walked to the couch stepping into the heels and Renzo opened the door.

"Hello darling. Are you ready?" Gemma nodded smiling at the term of endearment and taking Renzo's arm. "I will bring her back tonight." He winked at Nico who glared. They walked to the silver Lexus and backed out onto the rode.

Arriving at a colorful hotel Renzo gave the car keys to the valet and walked to the elevator. "Don't say anything unless directly asked. Try not to stand out and let Luis or I know if you see anyone."

The room was huge and filled with tables. Men and women drank and laughed as Gemma scanned faces. Renzo introduced her to an older man who grinned and nodded her way. By the middle of the night Gemma was tired of being dragged around and saying nothing until a man in an all black suit entered from a side door. Gemma tensed up as she reach for Renzo's arm and he was not there. He had walked to another table expecting her to follow.

"Excuse me. May I have a word with Mr. Ricci?" The two men nodded looking at Gemma. "Marco Keppings. All black suite with green eyes walking away from the bar."

Renzo had his hand on his gun and motioned Luis to follow him. They quickly walked over Gemma keeping up, as they walk passed the bar a man grabbed Gemma's waist pulling her away from the group of men she came with.

"What?"

"Oh miss Gemma Marino, you remember me. Don't be so harsh." The familiar voice spoke. She locked eyes with a blue pair.

"Johnny?" He nodded the kid she was friends with in grade school now slid his hand up her bare thigh.