--Chapter Seventy-One--

Kaira's POV

Smoke is pouring in from the crack underneath the door, causing me to worry. If there is a fire, we won't be able to get out. We'll... burn.

I swallow and bang on the glass, trying to call for someone. "Hello? Can anyone hear me? Please, don't leave us in here!" I scream.

"Kaira, calm down. We're going to be okay," my dad says, and I can't believe how calm he sounds.

"But-"

"No, Kaira," he repeats, his tone firmer than before.

I slump down to the ground, defeated. Just then, the door opens, and a lot more smoke creeps in. Through the grey fog, a man comes in. I am about to yell at him, but then I remember my father's words and keep quiet.

As the smoke dissipates, I see who it is. Zane. He actually came back for us. Just one more thing to confuse me.

He goes to my father's cell and opens it up. Moments later, I see Zane knocked to the ground by my father, who raises his fist to punch him.

"Dad, stop!" I yell.

"Kaira, be quiet. Now," he orders.

"He's not-"

"Kaira!"

I fall silent, watching as my father attempts to hit Zane in the face. Zane manages to dodge the blow and before long he is on top and is struggling with my father.

"I'm trying to help you!" Zane tries to explain.

"Just like you helped my daughter?"

"Yes!" Zane answers immediately, then seems to realize something and says, "No, I mean-"

He is stopped by my father landing a hard punch to Zane's chin.