--Chapter Forty-Nine--

Kaira's POV:

As the man drags me away from Zane and through the halls once again, I feel tears slip down my cheeks. I don't resist him anymore, feeling the fight leave my body. I just can't understand it. Why did Zane act like that? Was everything he did just an act the whole time? He hurt me and acted as if I was nothing more than an item. A piece of tissue to be studied. And it hurts so much. The ache in my stomach isn't merely from his fist, but from his betrayal.

The man doesn't take me back to my cell, and I realize that we had been going somewhere when I tried to escape. He goes right past the door to my cell and I feel another heavy pain in my gut. I whimper and feel my knees give out again.

"Get up," the man grumbles and shakes my arm. But I can't. I don't have any energy left in me and I feel empty.

I don't comply and he shakes my arm harder, as if that will make me cooperate. I hear him mumble something to himself before he lifts me into his arms. He's quite strong, and even though I don't want to, I lean into his chest. The warmth is strangely comforting even though he did hurt me and he's obviously evil.

"What are you doing?" he asks. I pull away from him, refusing to look him in the eyes.

"Just put me down."

He chuckles, "Are you actually going to walk? Because you didn't seem to want to a moment ago."

"I'll walk. Now put me down," I demand. He lowers me as requested, and I lock my knees so they don't give out.

But things don't go as planned when I try to take the first step. Instantly, my legs buckle beneath me and I faceplant on the hard floor. I smack my head especially hard and feel quite dizzy from it.

"Nice walking there," he mocks me. Then I feel like crying again. I hate it, but it's so hard to be strong all the time.

The man picks me up once again and continues along the hallway. My head sags back in his arms and I completely relax, too tired to hold myself up. I crack open my eyes, but shut them right away as I see the room spin around me.

I guess I hit my head harder then I realized...

This is the part where I apologize, as usual, for not updating sooner *facepalm* I REALLY WILL TRY TO BE BETTER! All of you faithful readers deserve better :P now I'm ranting.... Seriously, though, I will try to be more consistent.

Kaira's POV: Ithildae