nine • nick's chance

The piercing wind flowed through my lungs. We ran until we could hardly breathe, but we kept pushing through. Staying strong was the only was to persevere through the difficult cold and people we were escaping from. Clementine held onto AJ as tight as she had ever held him before while she sprinted alongside me. I had so much faith in these two. They're my only people now.
"Get the hell back here!" We heard a voice shout.
Signature purpose.
What did it mean? What defined those twisted words? What was the real reason Nick repeated those same sick words to me and Clementine?
Slamming into the side of the car door, I opened it and rushed in while Clem followed. She quickly handed me AJ while she drove away.

"Oh my god, thank you for helping me get AJ back Y/N. I really can't thank you enough. He's basically all i have left.." she turned for a split second, "and I think I have you now, too."

We both smiled. Nick was silent the whole time. It expressed creepiness to me, but I said nothing. Until minutes later.
"Clem, what did you think their signature purpose exactly meant or was?"
Clementine shook her head.
"Y/N, do you not understand? Let me put it this way.. Nick, your Katy or Kate, whatever her name was, she is no longer a presence here. She's dead."
I just have a confusing look to her. Was I missing something? Was I not paying attention to the words they said while I was worried about clementine and I finding AJ. Because I knew that was what mattered.

Clementine sighed, "Cannibals." I just stared in realization. I thought about the words the people had said near the fire. That girl... Kate... I don't even want to think about it.

Nick just looked dark and gloomy. He probably didn't realize it was her... I feel sorry for him.
"I wish it had been me." He let out with a sigh.

"I'm glad it wasn't, Nick." I said aloud. "You need to put your life to work. There are people who care about you I'm sure. Clementine I think he should stay with us awhile if he can earn our trust."

Clementine thought. And thought more.
"I'll think more about it later. For now, Nick, you don't have my trust or respect. That's something you need earned, just like how I've had to earn it the past years I've been through this. You know how it goes."

I nodded. Nick stayed silent in the back of the car as the stars danced in the moonlit sky as we drove back to camp to gather leftover supplies. We would finally leave and start somewhere new.

It just made me ponder, would we make it starting all over? Where would we go? Can we survive?
Can we?