Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

Part One

Dallas

I sprinted towards the door, ready to put on my shoes and jacket and go after Troye. That rogue could have done terrible things to him by now and all because I let him out of my sight.

"Dallees? Where are you going?" I looked up to see Colette hovering over me displaying a concerned look as I pulled on my sneakers.

"Troye's gone. I'm going after him," I replied, tugging at my shoelaces.

Not a minute later the front door burst open. My head shot up, hoping to see the skinny little boy my heart beat for. But my shoulders slumped at the sight of my frazzled beta.

"What's up Sam?"

He looked from me to Colette, then answered. "We need you at the pack house. Now."

I stood up, shaking my head. NO way in hell was I going anywhere before I found Troye. "Nope. Troye's gone. I'm going looking for him. Go to the pack house yourself," I replied, pulling on my jacket. Sam's face tightened into a disapproving look at the mention of Troye. "Don't you try to tell me shit about me and Troye right now Sam, there are bigger problems right now."

Sam sighed, but obeyed my request. "Dallas we need you there. Is there anyway someone else can go for Troye?"

"I'll do it!"

I practically snapped my neck to turn and face Colette. She had just volunteered to go into a lethal area looking for my omega whom she despised.

"What? No Colette," I said, shaking my head at her pathetic attempt at a joke. Now was not the time.

"No! I will! Seriously Dallees, you have ze pack to attend to right now. You can trust me to bring ze omega to you safe and sound. Please. Let me help," she said genuinely. I sighed.

I was the type of guy who had to do everything himself, so letting Colette do this was not on the list of things I wanted to do today. At all. But I had a duty to serve my pack, and Colette was an alpha. A bitch, but an alpha. So I had to trust that she would be a leader and do the right thing for her mate.

"Okay. Thank you. Come to the pack house when you find him. And hurry!" I called out to her just as she was quickly heading for the door.

"You can trust me Dallees," she said, winking, then left-Sam and I right behind her, heading for the pack house.

~~

Troye

The cold air had my fur standing on end, but I didn't mind. It was refreshing. It made me feel alive when all I wanted was to be dead. Dallas had probably already claimed Colette, beginning their new life together. My heart broke at the thought of it. But then I imagined a smiling Dallas surrounded by his adorable pups that Colette gave him, and it made me feel a little better knowing he was happy. That's all I could ever hope for, and she could give it to him when I couldn't.

So here I was, running away from that house, that girl. I was running to get away from the stupid headaches I got whenever they were together. I was running to escape my stupid crush on my brother. And I was running because I knew if I stayed I probably would have ended up ending my own life.

The trees whistled and I sniffed the air, sensing another type of animal nearby. I stopped running and looked around. Large swaying trees to my right, a small residential home to my far left. Nothing. The sound of crunching leaves behind me had my wolf from spinning around to address the noise.