Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen                       

Troye

“And then she said… he already ate the egg plant!”

Dallas burst out laughing and Randy grinned from ear-to-ear, happy from the success of his latest joke. I could already tell Randy is one of those kids who was always laughing at something; there was never a dull moment in his day. And I loved that.

Still laughing, Dallas pulled open the front door with Randy and his various suitcases in tow---me following closely behind. We had just finished a couple more rounds of bowling and there was no reason to go school with only one more class, so we decided to head home for lunch.

Dallas’ laughter ceased as we entered the living room. I felt my eyebrows furrow, wondering what was up. I craned my neck around Randy’s tall frame to see the last person I wanted to see.

“Colette? What are you doing here?” Dallas asked, the first one to address her presence.

“Oh, I just stopped in to…” She paused, taking a dramatic deep breath. “Honestly I just missed you Dallees.”

I’m going to be sick.

I watched from afar as Dallas, smiling, enveloped her in a romantic embrace. After a few seconds, she pulled away and smiled broadly up at him. Dallas bent down and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

A dull aching in my head formed as I bit my lip to keep myself from making a stupid jealousy-driven comment I would regret. Randy walked over to the two, quick to introduce himself and congratulate their “mateship” or whatever the fuck it was called. WHO cares? Not me.

“Randy I can show you where to put your things,” I said to him as soon as he finished speaking to the lovebirds.

Ugh, just saying that made my stomach churn.

“That’d be awesome, thanks Troye!” Randy was smiling again, and I had to say it was contagious. With him around, the Colette situation would be slightly more bearable.

“Follow me… You’ll be staying in my room with me since I have an extra bed,” I started to head towards the staircase with Randy in pursuit, but Dallas’ voice stopped me.

“What are you talking about? I thought you were staying in my room Troye?”

Before I could answer, he was leaving Colette and rushing over to us on the stairs. Colette sighed and mumbled something along the lines of “Not again… Dallees I will make zome lunch, come to ze kitchen when you are finished being a child.”

Dallas glanced up at me for an answer, uninterested in whatever Colette was saying.

I began to ascend the stairs, trying to seem casual and not make this into a huge deal. “Dallas I think its best if I stay in my room for now.”

He began following Randy and I up the stairs as he answered:

“Okay, then I will just sleep with you in your room and Randy can sleep in my room,” Dallas stated, making it seem as if everything was always his decision.

“No, Dallas. I mean I’m sleeping alone. I’m not sleeping with you.”

We had reached my bedroom by this point—Randy standing awkwardly by the door, Dallas and I in the center, my light blue walls surrounding us.

“What is this about Troye?” He crossed his arms over his chest and looked at me as if I was a child. Like he was my father and I had been acting out and he needed to punish me.